Bad Guy Paul's Reptile Circus/Paul Larosa - Sickening Husbandry & Neglected Reptiles - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #81
Herps Alive!
A few comments on a number of issues that have been brought up here. I started as a herpetology educator 40 years ago and people would call me wanting to surrender animals, which I gladly took in. When the rescue mission got to big, we formed the Herps Alive Foundation, a 501(c)3 public charity. Last year we adopted out over 260 reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates while taking in 380. This year we are on target for 500 in and 500 out through three months.
We made a point of making ourselves known to all local animal control and regulatory agencies and now have many of them directly transferring animals to us. The only exception is that in our county there is only one agency that can hold animals (statuatory) while charges are pending, however once resolved, even they transfer their animals to us. I know several reputable rescues are posting on this thread and I would hope that you have developed a good working relationship with those agencies in your neck of the woods. If not, please reach out to them.
On the topic of cruelty cases not being prosecuted, it is still bad (I could write dozens of stories for you) we are seeing improvement there and I think it is a direct result of our effort to educate those responsible. I have actually testified in a couple such cases.
Lastly, any private individual can call himself or herself a reptile rescuer (or herpetology educator, for that matter). If you participate in these activities, make sure you have all needed licenses and paperwork (including carrying insurance). One bad or unprofessional operator can make things hard for everybody who is tyring to do the right thing.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #82
tlmoon
Very good points, Keith. Thank you for the work that you do!

Old 04-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #83
Greensleeves
can you report him to the local aspca with your evidence?

Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #84
Greensleeves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
can you report him to the local aspca with your evidence?
ack- didn't see the original posting date on this

Old 04-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #85
MissFirefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
ack- didn't see the original posting date on this
No worries. Contacted the Department of Agriculture and will be speaking with the Environmental Police as well. Sadly, there is nothing that can be done at this time.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #86
RescueRex
Is there any update on this?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #87
MissFirefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRex View Post
Is there any update on this?
No, no updates. In Massachusetts there is no permitting process to host reptile shows so he does not have to meet any standards in that regard. Additionally, he has no restrictions on owning pets so he is allowed to have species legal to the state.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #88
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFirefly View Post
No, no updates. In Massachusetts there is no permitting process to host reptile shows so he does not have to meet any standards in that regard. Additionally, he has no restrictions on owning pets so he is allowed to have species legal to the state.
Lauren- What about Board of Health Permits? Down here, we have Animal Venue Permits. All per stores, rescues, vets, etc, must be inspected and permitted.
Just like they got AL Capone for Income Tax Evasion, this provides a secondary tool to go after abusers (at least in our county).

Old 04-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #89
MissFirefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
Lauren- What about Board of Health Permits? Down here, we have Animal Venue Permits. All per stores, rescues, vets, etc, must be inspected and permitted.
Just like they got AL Capone for Income Tax Evasion, this provides a secondary tool to go after abusers (at least in our county).
Spoke to the Director of Animal Health for the Department of Agriculture in Massachusetts and there are no inspections for those dealing in reptiles (there are for almost every other species) as far as the Board of Health or otherwise. It is very frustrating to put it mildly.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #90
mas1717
Any one on here know what to do when someone sends ya money for snakes and you get the snakes and they won't meet ya to get the snakes and they want there money back?? Any advise would be helpful thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!