Time Magazine Person of the Year - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
HerpVenue
Time Magazine Person of the Year

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

The iranian President.

What the Ph_CK !!!!!

No more time Magazine for me.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
SPJ
How in the world was he named man of the year?

Did they list what screwed up criteria they followed to come to this conclusion?

Old 11-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
SoulSmilen
Time Magazine's "Man of the Year" selection is not always someone good, nor is it an "honor" as many seem to see it. The criteria is based simply on who has affected more lives and had the largest impact that year.

With that criteria, they've chosen pretty well.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
HerpVenue
so if I nuked 20 US cities.....I too would be person of the year.

or if I raped 500,000,000 women........I would be tired......but would be person of the year.

It just sounds so darn screwed up to me. they gotta change that stuff.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #5
shrap
Its all about selling magazines. People are going to say exactly what you did Ritchie... and then go buy the magazine to find out how that can be possible.

Journalism is no longer about facts, honesty and integrity. It is purely about sales, circulation and ratings.... aka MONEY.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
Chameleon Company
I understand TIME's criteria, that its more about impact, and not necessarily for the better. At the same time (no pun), TIME has gone down the tubes drastically in the last 20 years. As Sammy says, it became less about journalism, and more about being trendy and provocative (to the point of ignorance) long ago. Just like the "whistle blower" being the choice 2-3 years ago, the choice of Mahmoud is weak, by any criteria. Frankly, TIME isn't even fit for toilet tissue anymore .... except for the Person of the Year cover, naturally.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Dragondad
Time magazines person of the year was actually "YOU" the user of the information age. The Iranian president was considered as was North Koreas Dictator.

Yet this is the same magazine who picked Adolf Hitler as person of the year in 1938, Joseph Stalin in 1939, Ayatullah Khomeini in 1979 can we actually say that if the person of the year had been either Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Kim Jong Il would be any more surprising. Time choice is simply who effected the world news the most for the paticular year. So has Time really gone downhill?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Tsutton5
My 2 Cents

nope always been screwed up..... and always will be...

Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Chameleon Company
I have to applaud their choices of Hitler and the others. I would have criticised a choice of Mahmoud, as I would have felt him not of the same caliber as many other possibilities, in essence making him more significant than he is.

I think that Time has gone way downhill. I canceled my subscription 20 years ago. First with the "Whistleblowers", and now "You", they have shown once again that rather than report the news, they want to be the news.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Dragondad
Well Jim, I can't say I disagree with you. To place Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Kim Jong Il on the same level as Adolf or Joseph is giving them some the the nororiety that they crave. And I also agree that some of the recent choices are a cop out for instance 2001 Rudy Giuliani and not Osama Bin Laden 1999 Jeff Bezos 2005 Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono do not fit the criteria of what is supposed to be "Person of the Year". No I never have subscribed to Time except when I get freebie ones.

Its also my opinion that Time as well as most news organizations has fallen into the trap of reporting their "opinion" of the news not the news in itself. Like we are not capable of handling the truth or the facts. I find the slant to be most disturbing whether it's to the right or left.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!