Anybody been to west Texas yet ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
old guy
Anybody been to west Texas yet ?

And seen the mass stopping of herp hunters from DPS and border patrol ? Not that they are picking on us but just doing their jobs. I would think that since they are all radio equipped, they would radio in on down the road.....hey...the guys in the ford grey 150 pickup is just reptile hunters ! While on River Road the other night, some people were stopped like 3 to 5 times in a 40 mile area of roads .

Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
John Cherry
Just got back from

I just got back from two nights in Val Verde County and three nights around the Sanderson area. There were plenty of DPS, Border Patrol and County Sheriff's to go around. On the first night of each area we were stopped several time ( 2 in Val Verde and 3 in Sanderson area), I then decided to take the initiative and when I saw one of them. I pulled over and told them what we were doing. After several stops they all would just wave and move on by us, which made for a lot more pleasant night.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms :scatter:

Old 06-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Tim Cole
Thumbs up I got

back Monday night. Caught 4 leps, 1 being gravid. Joked with Border Patrol and was not stopped by anyone else. Only saw 8 live snakes in a week, but since half of them were leps, I was pleased! Going back tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
John Cherry
Color Phase

Hey Tim good to hear from you. What color phase and locale were the leps from. Hope you got some of the reds or the snow whites as those are my favorites.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Tim Cole
4 counties of leps...

Sunday night was an Edwards Co. adult female. Light grey, with pale forward bands. Monday night produced a Val Verde Co. adult female, light grey with strong dark grey bands. Also Monday night we got a Sutton Co. gravid female, light grey with pale bands. Wed night in Terrell Co. we found a juvenile male, light grey with light mottled banding.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
John Cherry
Awesome

That sounds like you had a lot of fun. When we kept venomous the leps, sheild nose cobras and dorrissis were the only one we really cared a lot about.

stay in touch,

J ohn Cherry
Cherryville farms

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!