How to remain safe while collecting?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
99Vengeur
How to remain safe while collecting??

I live in the North-western corner of Louisiana, in the Shreveport/Bossier area. I would love to do some field collecting to see what I can find, but I have a major concern. I was told by a local herper that the ratio of snakes found in the area was 3 hots for every 1 non-hot. So my question is this...how do I protect myself and remain safe while field collecting for non-venomous snakes when I am 3 times more likely to find the hot snakes??

I am very cautious and by no means reckless in any sense. I don't go around just flipping over rocks and logs, but I do like to explore areas where snakes would be likely found. I don't currently have any hooks or tongs, would it be wise to invest in a set?

Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
My first piece of advice would be to find in your area a herp club or association (I have to believe there's one in such a reptile-rich environment) and network with the members. They would surely have someone experienced with searching for hots and would be a wealth of practical information on the subject. If they're like any other snake lover, they would love to take you under their wing and show you what they know! Good luck!!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
99Vengeur
Actually, I am a member of the Southern Herpetological Society that is based in this area. We have monthly meetings and have gone on a few outings to the Kisatchie National Forest. But I was wanting to do a little collecting on my own in my free-time. We had an entire meeting on being able to identify hot vs. nots. I'm not looking to collect the hots, but was more looking for information on avoiding the dreaded bite from one if I inadvertently uncovered one.

I guess I was looking along the lines of protective shoes, clothing, hooks, etc.

Thanks for the reply though!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Well don't I just look like a friggin idiot.....

Definately (IMHO) invest in a good pair of high top leather boots and a snake hook (40 inches or longer), and if you have the money, a collapsable small hook could be a convenient investment too if you come across any babies that you want to maneuver for a picture.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Robert, always a good idea to go with a buddy , things happen out in the woods and fields and a cell phone is also a must. Happy Herpin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!