Wanting to get into Balls, but wife will not allow. - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #31
CountOfCasualty
There are some people that will never budge with snakes. Did you ever find out WHY she is afraid? Generally people with phobias like that will have very clear reasons. If you haven't, try to get to the source of her problem with them. Maybe she was bitten when she was younger, or another traumatic event. Maybe something else about them freaks her out aside from being 'evil' creatures. Have her watch video's online, too. From breeders and hobbyists. She won't have to be in the same room as them but she can see how people handle them, how lazy or active they are, etc. That's what attracted me to Ball Pythons-they're lazy and more cuddly and like lap dogs than corns or milks who are very active and move and wiggle a lot.

I second the Hognose suggestion. They're cute little creatures and I adore them.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #32
Jaleely
She's selfish

My family raised me to hate snakes. 8 years ago my husband wanted a snake. I wasn't sure, but he's his own man and promised to take care of it *shrug* he's an adult. If it didn't affect me, why would i say no? That would be awfully selfish of me. We went to a reptile show and got a baby ball. I LOVED her. Now I am the one obsessed with snakes!
Point is...not only did it turn out that I enjoyed the animal, but I found my passion. That wouldn't have happened if I had been selfish.
I'd talk to your wife about give and take. Compromise, and selfishness. Not to mention, who is the breadwinner? Most families live off the men's salary. I think you should be able to spend your money how you wish, within reason. Unless you often break promises, she should trust you to deal with it all and enjoy it without it affecting her.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #33
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaleely View Post
Not to mention, who is the breadwinner? Most families live off the men's salary.

I do agree with others who have mentioned that perhaps some gentle dialogue may give the person fearful of snakes new perspective, and while pressuring or forcing someone is in my opinion not a good choice, gently talking about the reasons for the fear may help.

Hopefully you are not saying that if a woman chooses to stay home, perhaps spend time inside the home raising children, that her contributions are irrelevant and she should have no voice? Or do you actually believe that if only one person of either gender works outside the home, that person gets to make all the decisions?

Old 10-24-2018, 04:30 AM   #34
HiddenHerps
My advice.... Get a new wife that likes snakes....lol

I'm totally kidding! My hubby hates spiders and would never have a tarantula in our home but I kept him...hahaha.

But seriously I think maybe if you could get her comfortable with lizards maybe even legless lizards then it may not be such a feat to get her to accept snakes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!