savannah monitor sick - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
crossfire79
monitor update

sues, my savannah monitor i had started this post about had pulled through this predicament, I had to force feed him once some carnival care the vet gave me. I think that gave him energy enough to pull through. I had to also offer water to him daily. by putting his nose up to warm tap water running in the sink, and waiting for him to stick his tongue out and seeing if he willingly started to drink. Most of the time he did start drinking water on his own and that made me realize that as long as he way drinking he'd be okay.

What I think had happened what I accidnelty broke his tail when he was fighting me while I was clipping his nails. Other than that I do not know.

No i didn't just guess at his temp, I tried to keep basking around 110, and watch where he sat under the lamp, directly of offset, and would change the bulb from 100watt to 150watt accordingly. In the summer time when the air is on he got the 150watt. The crushed walnut bedding he has never had a problem passing through his system. I believe it is a lot better than sand or dirt or cypress chips, and while they are young encourages natural behavior with foraging for insects i put in there.
But you guys were right about the cage size, I have said to myself for years I am going to build him something bigger and never got around to it.

That was then, keep in mind I posted this thread a long time ago.

About 6 months ago he started to get a cataract in one of this eyes, or at least something that caused his eye to cloud over, shortly after that he other eye did the same thing. After he lost his sight I really had to baby him to get him to find his food and help him swallow it. By picking him up and letting gravity work with him. And helping him find it when he couldn't see, or when he lost it. 2 months after he lost his eye sight, he start to loose him ability to balance himself and walk normally, eventually he lost the use of this back legs all together.
About that time he started to stop eating and would only take water when i offered it him by picking him up and putting up in the tub or to the running tap water. About a month after that he stopped drinking. I made sure to put a 75watt in that kept him good and warm all the time since he couldn't move. and checked him often.

So after I few tearful weekends I told myself if it was me I wouldn't want to live like that and have to be force feed and watered, so I had him put down. At the time this savannah monitor was had live 10 years out of his 12 year life cycle.
Forcing him to live in that 55gal aquarium his whole life is probably what cut his life short by two years. To anyone who wishes to attack my husbandry methods may do so at will, but keep in mind I am the one who has to live with the fact that this lizard has been my best friend for the last 10 years of my life, and my ignorance is probably what cut his life short.
As he began more dehydrated he had one of his hind legs that didn't shrink up like the rest of his body, he also had little to no reaction when you pinched this hind leg like he did with his other leg. So I suspect something more serious was going on, perhaps cancer. I don't know, I live in Indiana there are very few reptile vets, all of which have a wait list and cost a fortune.

Now is someone wants to help me correct my mistakes of the past last year I bought a black roughneck monitor and am preparing to build him a custom cage, I posted a thread in the cage forum for advice about sliding glass doors, custom rock walls etc.
I also need to know what else I can be feeding him, the more I learn about monitors the more I learn about what I am doing wrong. I have been feeding him mostly fuzzy rodents and realize now that, that shouldn't be so, and would like to know what else I can offer him. Keep in mind I do not have access to live squid, shrimp or anything from an ocean, but semi fresh fish.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #12
Helenthereef
I am very sorry to hear that you lost your monitor friend. I fully understand that you can become as attached to any reptile as much as you would be to a mammal.

I think that you realise that your husbandry could have been better, but you obviously put a lot of energy into trying to do the best for him that you could, and I hope that anyone responding with suggestions for your new monitor also realises this and does so with sensitivity not with the intent to attack you.

I have never kept a monitor, so I can't help with specifics, but as a starting point, I found a care sheet at Backwater Reptiles that might help; http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/rep...are-sheet.html

Enclosure: These are arboreal monitor lizards, which means they enjoy climbing. Sure, they spend some time on the ground, but more often than not, you'll find them perched on a branch or traversing other climbable surfaces. I have one wall inside the cage entirely covered with flat cork bark, and I'd estimate that my current "rudi" spends nearly 75% of his time on it. He even chooses to sleep vertically once in a while (albeit rarely).

There is no calculation for determining minimum cage dimensions for any lizard, so just use common sense. Give them enough room to walk and climb freely, which means a fairly large cage as they approach adult size. Vertical space tends to be more important to them than floor space. I've discovered that Black Roughneck monitors will actually burrow underneath the substrate at night if given the option. One of mine created a permanent tunnel under the dirt and moss flooring.

Heating & Humidity: A basking spot reaching graduated highs of 130F to 150F should give these lizards the temperature they need to efficiently digest their food and maintain a strong immune system. Use a temp gun to make sure. Make sure the cage has a gradient of temperatures, giving the monitor an opportunity to choose whether it wants to bask in hot temperatures, or cool itself down. Basically, this is a must for all lizards and will pay dividends.

Indonesia has an average relative humidity of between 72% and 86%. This gives you a general idea of how humid it can be within their natural habitat. Misting the cage regularly, along with a fairly substantial water bowl (and no full screen top), should get you into their preferred humidity range. I've found that even 60% humidity isn't quite enough for Black Roughneck monitors (note: if you see them soaking in their water dish, your cage is not humid enough). Substantial air flow is your enemy, as it dries out the enclosure. Tip: using a dirt substrate with some depth helps greatly in maintaining humidity. Adding some leaf litter to the top of the substrate will help maintain its moisture.

Lighting: 45W halogen basking bulbs. UV lighting is not, in my experience, necessary for these meat-eating lizards. But, if you're so inclined, feel free to utilize UV lighting as well.

Feeding: Black Roughneck monitors are not ruthless killing machines like the Argus monitor or bottomless pits like the Savannah monitor. If properly cared for, and given enough heat, they will have strong appetites, but not insatiable ones. Let them eat until they are full. They tend to use their front claws to tear apart food items, especially when the prey is too large to swallow whole. I personally think this also makes digestion somewhat easier.

As babies, they feast upon crickets and small roaches, but don't seem to appreciate superworms and waxworms with quite as much gusto. As they grow, they will readily accept mice, and eventually even chicks. Try to keep their diet somewhat varied, rather than an entirely rodent-based menu. If nothing else, it probably keeps things a little more interesting for the lizard. Large roaches are relished, as are crayfish. While not recommended due to the potential transfer of internal parasites, they will absolutely devour small lizards. One of mine essentially inhaled two live House geckos that I put into the cage.

Copyright 2011 - BackwaterReptiles.com

Old 04-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
crossfire79
Thx for you reply, i went through all the sites google brought up for black rough neck monitor, care sheet, feeding. This one I did find, and led me to believe it was okay to feed him a whole baby chicken today that i got from the tractor store. It was really small and he ate it like a boss, but am not sure what effect all the feathers will have on his digestive system, and am not sure if its okay to keep feeding these to him. If it is okay, how often? Yes, I did post these same questions under a different black roughneck monitor thread.
I don't mind feeding live animals to my monitors, but I become hesitant to take a pair of scissors to a live baby chick, in order to remove his wings. Next I am gonna try frozen silversides, and maybe tilapia fillet, and also order some dubia roaches.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 PM   #14
Helenthereef
As I said, I don't know anything about monitors, but as it happens, my snakes live 100% on chickens, (from newborns to about 10 days old), and they have absolutely no difficulty with the feathers - it's all pretty much fluffy down at that age anyway.

I do find that keeping the chicks for a few days helps with the droppings though - when I fed them at the first day of hatching, the droppings were loose and very smelly (I suppose a newly hatched chick is still really just an egg-on-legs), but if I keep them even 2 or 3 days and feed them up on chicken feed (which I imagine would be available from the place you get the chicks), they are much firmer and less smelly.

Now, as my snakes are bigger, I raise them for about a week, and I feel that they are probably nutritionally more complete at that stage. I also follow the chicks up with a chicken wing portion once in a while to supply more skin, muscle and bone than might be available on a chick.

So, presuming that what a snake can eat, a monitor can deal with, I'd just feed the whole animal, no need to cut off wings.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire79 View Post
Thx for you reply, i went through all the sites google brought up for black rough neck monitor, care sheet, feeding. This one I did find, and led me to believe it was okay to feed him a whole baby chicken today that i got from the tractor store. It was really small and he ate it like a boss, but am not sure what effect all the feathers will have on his digestive system, and am not sure if its okay to keep feeding these to him. If it is okay, how often? Yes, I did post these same questions under a different black roughneck monitor thread.
I don't mind feeding live animals to my monitors, but I become hesitant to take a pair of scissors to a live baby chick, in order to remove his wings. Next I am gonna try frozen silversides, and maybe tilapia fillet, and also order some dubia roaches.
When they're young they should be fed everyday. The digestive system of a monitor has no problem handling bones, feathers, and fur. I feed all of my monitors mice, quail, and chicks. There's no reason to feed live and you're best bet is to order frozen feeders online.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!