Inquiry: Dachiu - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #81
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Jim O, I is this an "anecdotal report"?
Cathy, in science, anecdotal evidence can be defined as:

Quote:
  • information that is not based on facts or careful study
  • non-scientific observations or studies, which do not provide proof but may assist research efforts
  • reports or observations of usually unscientific observers
  • casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis
  • information passed along by word-of-mouth but not documented scientifically
Anecdotal evidence can have varying degrees of formality. For instance, in medicine, published anecdotal evidence is called a case report, which is a more formalized type of evidence subjected to peer review. Although such evidence is not regarded as scientific, it is sometimes regarded as an invitation to more rigorous scientific study of the phenomenon in question. For instance, one study found that 35 of 47 anecdotal reports of side effects were later sustained as “clearly correct.”

Researchers may use anecdotal evidence for suggesting new hypotheses, but never as supporting evidence.
Source: Wikipedia

The information that you cited, by very definition is non-reviewed, experiential information. That's what is scientifically referred to as anecdotal not subjected to scientific analysis. That is not meant to diminish Wendy's loss or its impact to her, just an observation of its relevance. That is to say, it is one anecdotal report. It's a non-emotional term meant to identify it for what it is.

If a physician has a patient who recovered from an illness with a non-standard treatment, or even a series of such patients, and publishes this information, that is not proof. That is an anecdotal report. Even the "series" referred to by Cheri (which I believe is one that I read when this issue arose around Bruce at Sunshine Dragons) is still anecdotal.

When prospective, controlled, peer reviewed studies are done on adenovirus we will have information. Until then it is all supposition. Of course if what Cheri says about Vickie and Rob is true then it may well be that they have dirtier hands in spreading this than many of us knew.

Cheri, thank you for all the effort in putting this information together. I would like to hear if Vickie has anything to say regarding this information.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #82
Cat_72
I would have thought necropsies were scientific information.

Silly me.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #83
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
I have a question, when they test a bin and it is positive, does that mean all the dragons in that bin are infected?
I would say that is a fair assumption given the likelihood of fecal-oral transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Exactly Jim. Until more is known about Adeno dont you think it is right to try and contain, or at the very least be as up front as humanly possible about whether the dragons you are selling are clean or not?
In a perfect world, yes, of course. On the other hand, should trade in these animals be halted completely? That seems to be the only way to do just that at this point. I'm not saying yes or no, just posing the question.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #84
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I would have thought necropsies were scientific information.

Silly me.
C'mon Cathy, no need to be snide here just because you don't like what I say. I never said necropsies weren't scientific. It is still just one case report. Not a controlled, peer reviewed study. That is an anecdotal report. Read the definition that I posted and don't pull out one word. Here's a relevant quote:
Quote:
For instance, in medicine, published anecdotal evidence is called a case report, which is a more formalized type of evidence subjected to peer review. Although such evidence is not regarded as scientific, it is sometimes regarded as an invitation to more rigorous scientific study of the phenomenon in question.
So even when medical scientists publish this type of information with references it is still anecdotal.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #85
DaremoAlpha
CheriS--- in your statements you use terms like "I think" and " I believe" in your time frames which tells me your unsure of exactly when things happenned. How much of a possible span would you say there is in each statement , a day or two , a month or two or maybe even upwards of a year??? I understand it was a long time ago and hell I have a really bad memory so I understand not giving exact dates but I am curious about how much margin of error you have given yourself.

Has anybody found out if there is a way to isolate the deadly strain for identifying, and if all or most dragons have this virus should that mean maybe ALL breeding should stop and we just let the species die off all together, I don't think so but I am curious to what others think because if there are alot of strains and only a couple killers then somebody in research really needs to earn the payday and get it figured out.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #86
JimD
Bobby.
Can you show me where I say that Canada knows Im importing AV Pos dragons?
I doubt it seeing as all your info is a quote or made up.
Are you going to answer my question?
Jim.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #87
JimD
CheriS.
I will put this here seeing as this is the place to be I guess.
If you want to put a link to what I said so people can see it that'd be great.
I made a comment pertaining to CheriS. I had no hard core proof of what I said. I made a bad judgement call in telling someone in private (wendy at Neverland dragons). No I do not know for 100% it is/was true.
I am not looking for anyones approval for saying sorry. It was something I said and no I'm not going to say that someone put me up to it like Bobby did.
I'm a grown man, make my own decisions. Unlike Bobby, I can accept that I MESSED UP ON MY OWN!
CheriS. Please accept my apology for saying something about you. I was in the wrong.
Jim Dyke
J&J Reptiles
The Dragons Tale.
Calgary Alberta Canada
1-403-273-4666
Bobby.....Id love to hear from you! Ill be happy to give you all my info so you can fuel your fire. Im here. Will be for a long time. Am happy to answer more questions even though others will not.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #88
JimD
Shrap.
I got 4 bad karma hits for my pi$$ing comment.
To be honest, I wouldnt do it on anyone! You ever smell that when someone pi$$es on a fire? NASTY.
Jim.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #89
walker75
Maybe just maybe he is kinda here to Protect the Dachiu's sorta kinda

You know deflect things people say... start other disagreements instead of

the problem of

The Dachiu's knowingly selling and spreading Adeno Positive Dragons when it has been told Not too.

Also I am wondering if any other breeder has Dachiu stock and was not told of this.

Seems that is very very deceitful and unethical to say the least.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #90
JimD
If you are referring to what I just said to CheriS, I'm sure she will let you know Ive been trying to get ahold of her since she asked for an apology. As for defletion of attack on dachiu's, I'm sure they are more then capable of defending themselves.
Any other questions or comments before I leave for work? If not Ill be back in about 30 min.
Jim.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!