wont eat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
dragonblood105
Question wont eat

Have a columbian red tail boa that hasnt eaten since about a week before thanksgiving, maybe longer. wats up with this? i offerd a white rat, black rat, and he now has a black and white rat(normally his favorite) how long do they usually stop eating for? is this normal in any way??

Old 12-25-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
hhmoore
Wendy,
How old/big is your boa? Is it male or female? Where on Earth are you (hehehe)? Temperature changes are one of the most common causes of tropical snakes going off food. You seem unsure of when the snake last ate, did you just get it? Nevermind, I just reread your post - he likes B&W rats, so apparently he has eaten for you (or were you told this?). Does it eat live, f/k, or f/t? Has it shown any interest in the rats? What do you keep the snake in (enclosure), how do you heat it, what are the temps (warm side, cool side, hi/low, and room)? When was the last shed? Is it drinking? When was the last time it had a bowel movement? How often, and for how long, do you handle it? You said he now has a B&W rat...is there a live rat in with the snake?
Jeez, I ask a lot of questions, don't I? Now to answer yours (sort of): How long they stop eating depends on why they stopped, and how long it takes us to correct the problem. Yes, it is normal for snakes to stop eating - in a way - it is a natural response to stress, changing conditions, and illness.

My first guess is that with the arrival of colder weather, the cage temperatures have dropped a bit...but that is pending your response to my questions

Old 12-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
dragonblood105
ok. so many questions 2 answer.. lol. the snake is 5'2", dont no how old, but by the size about 2 or 3 years im guessing. he was given to me by a rescue facility on september 25 of this year, so iv had him exactly 3 months. yes, iv fed him before, always a black and white rat, though the time iv had him he has eaten a black one before. he eats live small to medium rats, w/e seems to be the size of his stomach. he looks at the rats, then turns away. hes kept in an aquarium that is 4 ft. long, 17 inches tall, and 18 inches wide. the temperature is 80F(thermometer is in center of cage) but it alters between 75-80F, i just got a 100W bulb to put in the cage since its cold where i live (oklahoma since u were wondering) i also have a 3ft. albino burm, and it doesnt have any problems eating wen his temperature is changing thanks to the wheather. but all snakes are different i guess. yes it drinks water, last bowel movement was 2 days ago, i handle it daily and for a few hours, except after he eats, then i wait 2 days, and i keep the rat in the cage for about an hour, so he doesnt get used to the scent and reject it again, and so the rat doesnt start nibbling on the snake. lol. but if he immedietly shows he doesnt want to eat it i only leave it in for like a half an hour. well i think thats all the questions.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
hhmoore
As you said, the response to temperature changes is very individual - I accidentally turned off the heat tape one one of my racks last night (the room is 76, for some of the breeders)...half of the ball pythons and a couple of the dumerils boas didn't eat today. I realized what the problem was, turned the heat back on, and went back to feed them before I left for work. Just about everything ate. Anyway, back to your situation: I'm guessing that the 75-80` that you referenced was the temperature with the 100w bulb. Those temps would be fine for the cool side of the tank, but the warm side should be closer to 88`. You said that the thermometer was in the center of the tank, but did not mention bulb placement. also, what type of thermometer (indoor/outdoor, analog type, stick-on aquarium strip), and where is it placed (near the top, middle, bottom)? Do you turn the bulb off at night? If so, what is the room temperature? Room temperature should also be taken into consideration when you think about handling your snake. During the winter months, indoor temperatures are well below ideal for boas in much of the country. Low temperatures are the first thing to fix, and doing so may get your snake feeding again with no more trouble. If it is a male, the drop in temperatures may have shifted his focus to other things (*wink*)...it is breeding season, after all.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
dragonblood105
well the 100W bulb is all the way in the right hand corner. the thermometer is in the center but im going tuesday to get another one, one for each side of the tank. its much warmer under the lamp though, i'll know exactly how warm later. the thermometer is a stick-on aquarium strip, placed right at the bottom above the substrate since thats where the snake lives. the bulb is an ifrared light so its on all day and night. the temperature of the house (rooms) is sumwhere between 75F - 80F all the time. sound ok? or are things to cold?

Old 12-25-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
hhmoore
room temp is 75-80? wow - you keep the place nice and toasty, don't you? lol. If you don't mind a suggestion that will cost you just a little more money - buy a digital thermometer from WalMart, Home Depot, (wherever)...the indoor/outdoor type with the probe. They cost about $10 +/-, but are more accurate, and much more useful than those darned aquarium strips. Not only can you take readings from two different places (warm/cool, for example), but they will store the high and low temps from each site. Does the snake go on the side with the bulb? If not, that side may be too hot - but we can sort that out once you get a real thermometer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!