How to keep from getting screwed over? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Leopalooza
Question How to keep from getting screwed over?

Basically wanting to buy some geckos from people who don't have any transactions listed here and are not known and I was wondering how I can keep from being screwed over. Are there any certain tips or advice that you guys have for payment and tracking and gathering information to use should they "fall of the face of the Earth"? I think PayPal is the best route...but I'm scared. Seems a lot of people have issues here...

Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Leopalooza
And I'm aware that, I To have no transactions listed for my name however I am not looking to sell right now I'm only looking to buy. I guess I could use this advice to get myself built up later when I do decide to sell. Guess the point of this post is to ask what makes an honest seller and what warning flags do you typically see?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopalooza View Post
Basically wanting to buy some geckos from people who don't have any transactions listed here and are not known and I was wondering how I can keep from being screwed over. Are there any certain tips or advice that you guys have for payment and tracking and gathering information to use should they "fall of the face of the Earth"? I think PayPal is the best route...but I'm scared. Seems a lot of people have issues here...
There are no guarantees but you can do some things such as complete the transaction in person, pay with a credit card, never pay with Western Union or the like, get as much as possible in writing.
But with deals gone wrong, (barring the use of a credit card where you may have some recourse) even if you do everything right it may only give you the right of action, which can be time consuming and expensive.
I suggest, if you have concerns of this nature (and they are valid) rethink your choices and perhaps choose to purchase from a well known breeder, perhaps someone who has a good history here.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Leopalooza
Thank you for your reply. One person has been really spacey about replying...I sent my initial message a month ago and have had two replies. Don't think I'll go that route. However, the other has been replying nicely and even offered his number to talk it all out. My thought is this...everyone starts somewhere. Even the well-known start as a nobody. Without a chance, you can't prove yourself. The trusting part of me is fighting with the part of me who has been scammed lol. I don't have a good feeling about guy number one...but two seems alright. What is the very best way to pay? Surely you don't just shoot someone an email with your card numbers??

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
radera5
You can pay by credit card via paypal.

Try to keep as much of a paper trail as you can. If someone requests to speak on the phone, that is certainly not a bad thing but you should both come to an agreement that everything pertaining to the details of the transaction also go in writing.

While this can't prevent things from going wrong, you will at least have something to fall back on and be able to warn others.

You can ask people to take pictures of an animal you are interested in with today's newspaper.

Best bet is follow your gut. If it's not easy about someone, move on!

Good luck to you getting started.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Leopalooza
Ooh. Good idea about the paper! Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it! It just seems that more bad goes here than good. But then again, you always want to make sure that people know a crook!

Old 06-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
It just seems that more bad goes here than good.
That's kind of a harsh observation from somebody with 3 whole days as a member of this site...and, IMO, it is off the mark. You are, however, welcome to your opinion.

Oh, btw, don't email your credit card info.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
TriangleReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopalooza View Post
Ooh. It just seems that more bad goes here than good. But then again, you always want to make sure that people know a crook!
I assume you may be referring to the BOI. It, like most "news reports" generally reports the "bad" more often the good, because the "bad" is much more uncommon. Good transactions are generally more the norm, an as such, may be deemed less newsworthy.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Leopalooza
Thank you for reassuring me. Yes, I was referring to the BOI.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Leopalooza
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
That's kind of a harsh observation from somebody with 3 whole days as a member of this site...and, IMO, it is off the mark. You are, however, welcome to your opinion.

Oh, btw, don't email your credit card info.

I've been reading the forums as a lurker for about a year. Only recently was I motivated to buy here after local searches failed to bring up the creature I need for my project. Yes, a member for three days, but I've accessed this site through friend's accounts and through no account. I appreciate that concern, though and I'm glad to clarify in case someone else may wonder. And you can't say that the green marks equal the red...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!