Fang & Claw anyone remember it???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Bureau of Missing Persons

Notices

Bureau of Missing Persons With the number of messages I have to move from someone trying to locate another, I guess this forum is needed. Please use it for that purpose.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
Glenn Bartley
Fang & Claw anyone remember it????

I wonder if anyone out there ever visited a very small herp shop located on West 14th Street in New York City back in either the late sixties or early to mid seventies? If you do know of this place, do you know what became of the owner? As I remember, I owe him a debt of thanks, and if anyone can get him in touch with me I would appreciate it.

He really helped get me started in the right direction with herps, especially snakes. He also talked me into making the best non-animal herp related purchase I have ever made: my first copy of Snakes The Keeper and the Kept by Carl Kaufeld. For that I am forever grateful to him. As I recall he told me he had worked either at the Bronx Zoo or the Staten Island Zoo in the herp house. I believe he said he may have been one of the curators.

I sure would like to be able to say thanks because when I think of it, even though he did not get me started in the hobby, he got me going in the right direction to be able to keep healthy herps; and because I read that one book he in essence fanned the flames that were to become a life long love of field collecting!

Thanks

Best regards,
Glenn Bartley

Old 03-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
VinnyButch
Talking Fang and Claw owner

Glenn,

I read semi-recently that the owner of the old Fang & Claw in NYC is running a huge new exotic pet shop in Miami, Fl. The story was in one of the Reptile Mags, but unfortunately I odn't remember which one.
I know it's not nuch, but I hope this helps.

VinnyButch

Old 03-08-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Well, that is a start. I may track him down that way. What reptile mags do you read; or do you mean Reptiles Magazine? If it is Reptiles MAgazine, that should be kind of easy to find the article if the wife has not thrown out my old issues (I may be out of luck there).

I would be happy to find him to send him my well wishes and thanks. Thanks for the help.

Best regards,
Glenn

Old 07-02-2003, 07:56 AM   #4
KNOBTAIL
HELLO

His name is Aldo Pessara, and when I saw him last, at Orlando several years ago, he looked good. I understand he lives in a boat house somewhere in Miami. I dont think he is in the business any longer. Jerry Tresser

Old 07-02-2003, 10:33 AM   #5
Glenn Bartley
Thanks. If you ever run across him please let him know I send my best regards. He would not remember me, I was one of his many customers, but he sure made a good impression on me. In fact he continues to do so - I am still into breeding my herps. Thanks again

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 08-30-2003, 07:05 AM   #6
RichH
What A Flashback!!!

Now, this post is a flashback. I had become interested in Reptiles at a very young age. Mineola Reptiles, Hughes as well as Fang and Claw were my first sources for many herps. There was a shop in Flushing Queens that was primarily a fish place that kept some reptiles in stock as well.

I know there were others in Manhattan ,during this period, of which I can not recall their names offhand. They were primarily petshops that kept reptiles in stock as well.

I felt very fortunate to see, up close, so many different herps at such a young age.

These guys were definitely pioneers in the field of retailing herps in NY that had set the idea and stage for many to follow.

Thanks for the memory boost, Rich Hebron

Old 09-28-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
snakeyes
deja vu

Glenn,
aldos shop was the defining moment at the beginning of my interest in herps. my story matches your's so closely it's uncanny. i used to go there after school when he was open. as i recall he was only open 2 or 3 days a week for a couple of hours a day. he also sent me to the library to read kauffelds book. i've probably read it 3 times since. he had the largest snakes outside of a zoo that i had ever seen. my best memory was one day while he indulged my curiosity and answered all my questions. a father and son came in and wanted to buy a burmese python that he had in the shop. after talking to them for a while he refused to sell them the snake. he told them that they weren't prepared to own a huge snake and recommended they go elsewhere and start with something smaller. i think about that conversation every time i'm selling at a rep show. i see breeders selling baby burms and telling the buyer get a 20 gal.tank and a light and sending them on there way. another snake for the toilet bowl or euthanasia. well heres an oppurtunity for me to say THANKs aldo for starting me on the right path.you're kind are sorely missed in this hobby.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:00 AM   #8
Bill S.
I remember Fang & Claw

Oh yes. 14th and 8th in NYC. Owned by Aldo Passera. What a great store. The first time I went there I told him I felt like a kid in a toy store.

I bought a c.b. baby Burm from him and traded him a Florida king and cash for a c.b. baby water monitor -- the water monitor was from a guy who bred them in a loft in the city.

I used to visit F&C about once a month -- remember the rhino igs in the window? Aldo had a great collection packed into that small shop. I was thrilled to find that place (I found it because there was an article about it in the NY Daily News.).

If anyone ever sees Aldo Passera, please tell him that the guy who made the brown Fang & Claw tee shirts for him says hello and best wishes.

Great Memories.

Regards,

Bill Szymanski

Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Marc S
Whereabouts of Aldo Passera

I have been friends with Aldo for the past 30 years. I still talk to him
about 2x a month. He is 65 now and is well and living in North Miami.
He is no longer in the business although his wealth of knowledge still
amazes me. His store was on 9th ave and 14 st, not 8th. It was my second
home. I remember seeing a brazilian rainbow boa for the first time in his store. It was nice to read all the comments about fang and claw. It took me
right back there. Those were the good old days. Wonderful memories.

Marc S

Old 11-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
nrk62
Hi Folks,

I, too, remember the shop and Aldo -- if for no other reason than I worked there. It was my first job! It was on the South side of 14th Street just west of 8th Ave and was only open Monday-Friday from noon-6. (What's really scary is I even remember the phone #!)

Sadly, I no longer have any herps as pets (family problems with that) but I miss those days. Ah, to be 12 again and cleaning the cages, having Aldo drop one of the big Burmese from the top shelf on me for fun (damn thing knocked me to the floor -- LOL), learning about how to feed, care for, and understand almost everything. Aldo was great on so many levels.

Marc, if you see Aldo anytime soon, please forward my regards and fond memories.

Rob Kohn.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!