Venomoid PM??? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #11
Vinny D
i do not agree with the VENOMIOD SURGERY. but if is done correctly it usually dosent have any affect's on the snakes life. the main reason i dont agree with venomiod's is it is making people WANT TO HANDLE HOTS. if you want a venomous snake than you must know the responsiblities and the danger's of owning a venomous snake. insted of buying a venomoid why dont you get a boa or python. venomous snakes use their venom for feeding and a defence if neccary. so why would you take that away. the curator of reptiles at the philla zoo said to me "VINNY WHY DONT YOU CONCIDER A VENOMIOD SO YOU WONT HALF TO DEAL WITH THE DANGERS OF BEING ENVENOMATED" and i replyied why dont you keep venomiods here at the zoo. and he didnt say anythng at first. then he said we dont beleve in venomoid's here and i was like ok than why did you just tell me to take them under consideration. im just saying if you want to work with hot's than let the snake be hot. if not get a non-venomous snake.. thanks for reading..

Old 03-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
old guy
Maybe been said >?

Many states and or townships treats venomoids as venomous within the law. I know of a lady that had a venomoid in a city district that got found out and the law came down on her. AND she was made to remove some other species of snakes either because of size of the city law or whatever.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy
Many states and or townships treats venomoids as venomous within the law. I know of a lady that had a venomoid in a city district that got found out and the law came down on her. AND she was made to remove some other species of snakes either because of size of the city law or whatever.
I have not kept hots for some time, but I wasn't aware that the law even see's a difference in the two anywhere. Perhaps I am way off here, and things have changed, but it used to be void, or not, it is a venomous reptile by species.
Of course, it's impossible to know "all" the laws involving this since a state may say it's cool, but a province says no within the same state. Makes this stuff hard to follow.

Some hots rely on the enzymes created in the venom to aid in the digestive process as well. Another good reason for not voiding.

Rick

Old 03-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #14
old guy
it HAS been some time

since I heard of difference in the legality of being able to keep a venomoid versus an still producing venom hot in specific states or cities. So I MAY be off here. I guess when one could it was paper work or documentation to prove. I wonder how my state will look at this with the state wide consideration of banning hots soon ( if it happens . Kansas ). Probably outlaw venomoids also ? On the enzyme of venoms in order to aid in digestion > I think the jury is still out on this since there has been venomoids in the hobby for years. I would think and what i know ( keeping hots ) and reading that the enzyme deal is part of the natural process of digestion is part of the deal but ................

Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Well, perhaps "rely on enzymes" is a bit over doing it since many voids have proven to live with out them. I guess from My point of view, are they fully digesting? Does it take longer? When a human has no digestive enzyme (or not enough) we get heart burn. We may still digest, but not very comfortably. I guess I liken the two to be similar in My way of thinking.

As for the legalities involved.........I am sure that someone, somewhere will try to say "it's legal because it's a void and no longer venomous", but the state will merely amend to suit what they want done. That seems to be the norm.

The fact is, as long as you got these "cowboy" type people who practice unsafe handling, or free handling because they are voided, we will continue to have envenomations, and the laws will continue to get stricter. I am glad i don't actively keep hots any more. Because I do not have to deal with it. Really sucks for those that have kept for years, and practice all the safety and everything, and NOT get envenomated ever, to all of a sudden have to get rid of their hots.

Rick

Old 03-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #16
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
The fact is, as long as you got these "cowboy" type people who practice unsafe handling, or free handling because they are voided, we will continue to have envenomations, and the laws will continue to get stricter.
Rick
Hmmmm.........unsafe handling.

You mean like kissing a bush viper?

Old 03-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #17
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavemycoinpurse
Hmmmm.........unsafe handling.

You mean like kissing a bush viper?
Well, that's ones not on My "don't Do" list, but perhaps I should add it just in case I feel the urge.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #18
Vinny D
here in pennsylvania a viod is still considered venomous even though it can not deliver a venomous bite. so i would think it's probly the same in most states but i could be wrong.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #19
BWSmith
You are correct. In most, if not all, states, there is no legal difference between a venomoid and an in-tact venomous species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!