What the heck is this about??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
techgirl
What the heck is this about???

Ok...... so i know last time i was debating on whether i should breed my geckos this year or wait until next year(the should i or shouldn't i thread). i decided to wait so i can get an incubator and all that good stuff. well tonight i get home and am feeding the crew their roaches that they love so much. well i have a shtctb and a tremper albino femal housed together. or so i thought....all the sudden i start hearing this crash banging deal coming from the tank from under one of the hides. dean my bf looks and says that lowari(shtctb) is attacking gundhara. i immediately go to lift the hide up and see what the heck is going on and sure enough lowari has gundhara by the neck and trying to mount her!!!!!!! i don't know if there was actual penetration but i also don't know if this has been happening more often than tonight!! now i have a friend going to hamburg on sat so i called him up and said i need him to look into a hovabater for me just in case i need it. i'll be picking up a ten gallon tank tomorrow to separate the two. i called my vet friend who sexed them for me and told her what happened and she was like whoa. i swear when you look at lowari's underside you see nothing!! he looks like a girl. the pores are not enlarged, there is no bulge. he's about a little over a year. so is the female. now what can i do for gundhara? i do give them the rep cal herpitivite once a week with D3 and calcium is always available for them. i use the leopard gecko dust for them every feeding and they are fed roaches and mealies with the exception of the occasional waxies every 2-3 months. should i invest in some pinkies or am i just a stupid person who is freaking out. i swear i had no intention of this happening and want what is best for my guys. they were last vet checked 2 months ago and got a good bill of health. i feel like a dope. please don't kill me i can't believe this is happening. well thank you so much for all the info. i have read material on breeding these guys but always like to ask the pros because i find that the people who do it make it a heck of a lot easier to understand than a book and easier to ask questions to. thanks again

Old 04-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
The NY Gecko
It sounds like you might have a hot female on your hands. There is a number of possible things going on Jessica. She could be a hot female which means shes too aggressive to breed. She also could just be showing her dominace over your other female. What ever the case if it is indeed a female you wont have to worry about eggs but I'd still seperate them because of the stress factor. If you have a male then put a laybox in the cage if for no other reason that for her to have somewhere to put the eggs so she doesnt become egg bound. Seperate them ASAP either way.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
techgirl
well they are now separated but they did have to spend the night together. unfortunately "she" is a he. i did see hemipenes when i caught their last coupling. i did pick up some pinkies today for them as a treat. the 2 males scoffed them right up, but gundhara the girl chose not to have it so my beardie got it instead. i am looking into a hovabator to have on hand just in case. i always keep a moist hide in the tank with peat moss in it. now what should i be doing to help momma if this pairing did take?

Old 04-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Ian S.
Glad to hear you figured out the confusing maddness. Good job.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!