Teasing my wife - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
hhmoore
Teasing my wife

My wife is out of town, visiting family. It seemed like the perfect opportunity for a little fun. [Background: my wife is not a reptile enthusiast, but she is very understanding and supportive of my hobby. She was horrified at her first view of my female E. notaeus, which was probably about 7-7.5 ft at the time. She has also made pretty clear that she could not deal with a big snake. I, on the other hand, really miss having big rocks and retics around...but out of respect for my wife, and the silly laws of NYS, I haven't gotten back into them.] Sooooooo, on her 2nd night away, I included in my email to her "btw, would you have any objection to the bed being about 12-18 inches higher? been tossing a few ideas around, will explain in detail when you get home. in the meantime, let me know if you just don't like the idea" The simple response was that it would be okay. During a phone conversation the next day, as expected, she wanted to know what I was up to. As was also expected, she was having no part of my attempts to deflect the conversation...so I told her that I had ordered a custom underbed cage. After the slightest of pauses, she asked what I was going to put in it (she has already commented on the fact that it seems like we have a number of cages not in use and in the way). I told her that I had bought a 3 year old female tiger retic (which means nothing to her).
wife: "seems like an awfully big cage, just how big is this thing"
me: "she's only about 13-14 ft, but she's still got some growing to do, I wanted to make sure the cage would last her a few more years.
dead silence for what seemed like several minutes...but probably only 1 1/2
me: "baby? are you there?"
wife: "I'm here"
I could just see the color draining from her face, and her voice definitely conveyed her discomfort, so I didn't carry it any farther. I told her that I was just teasing her...that she knows I wouldn't do that to her. Like the trooper she is, she told me that if I wanted to get a big snake, I should do it.

At least I have my defense for when she sees the new tattoo, lol

Old 08-10-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
Chris Steele
Ha, that was mean, sounds like the type of prank I'd be trying to pull. Well except that it wouldn't be on my wife, because she is nonexistant as of now.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
Well except that it wouldn't be on my wife, because she is nonexistant as of now.
She likely exists. You just haven't met her yet.

Good one Harald. I've done similar things with respect to my wife's less than enthusiastic approach to reptiles.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
hhmoore
Since she was so adamant that there would be NO separate vacations, yet has gone away by herself 4 times in 18 months, I figure she deserves some sort of harassment during or after each trip. (apparently, what she meant was there would be no separate vacations for ME...in fairness, I must admit that I was "invited" to go the last time. given the circumstances - read: other people present - I would sooner have removed my own skin with a dull blade, drizzled myself with marmalade, and lay naked amongst the fire ants)

Old 08-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Chris@TSE
lol, now thats what I call amusing.... nice prank.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #6
Crested Lady
Lol. Sounds like something I would do to my husband. He hates ANY snakes... She is a trooper for agreeing to let you get one, though. There's no way my husband would ever agree! Lol.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
..... I would sooner have removed my own skin with a dull blade, drizzled myself with marmalade, and lay naked amongst the fire ants)

......Ouch

Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
DragonCharm
I was looking at those cages for myself. If you get one let me know how it works out. You wanna buy one and "test" it for a year or so then give it to me when my Burm gets big? That oughta send her soaring over the edge.....

Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crested Lady
Lol. Sounds like something I would do to my husband. He hates ANY snakes... She is a trooper for agreeing to let you get one, though. There's no way my husband would ever agree! Lol.
As stated, she has been very supportive/encouraging...I only had 2 snakes when we started dating, now we're up to the 50ish range (+ babies).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonCharm
I was looking at those cages for myself. If you get one let me know how it works out. You wanna buy one and "test" it for a year or so then give it to me when my Burm gets big? That oughta send her soaring over the edge.....
no desire to really send her over...just wanted to dangle her there for a minute or two. as far as "testing" the cage - it's presence really wouldn't bother her. she might actually like the extra height - keep the dogs' faces away when she is sleeping. Now if I were to put anything in it, I would likely come home and find her sleeping in her Blazer, lol. A big restless snake, roaming under the bed at night would not be conducive to a good sleep for her. I can imagine the phone call I would get at work, that first night. lmao

Old 08-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
Karen Hulvey
Harald you naughty, naughty boy. Good one, that was a great prank.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!