???? about burm - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #31
myherps
And just a little story for you........

A (small) local breeder/friend of mine owned a 12 foot reticulated python and he brought it outside one day to give it a bath (in the snakes little kiddy pool.) A nosey neighbor spotted the snake called the officials claiming it was dangerous, my friend had his retic, 14 cornsnakes a 7 carpet pythons taken away. Along with a $200 fine per animal.

So that totaled up to
- All 6 of his snakes being taken away (and probably put to sleep.)
- And a $4,400 fine.

So, unless you would rather go and get caught by a neighbor complaining the snake is dangerous and having it taken away, plus a fine, be my guest.

Yes you did a good thing by taking it in but burmese pythons will eat your money away. You don't sound very experienced with snakes. A burmese python is capable of growing 8+ feet in its first year of life (if fed properly.) That snake is way to small. It should be well over 13' by now. And ,atleast a little, over 100 pounds. I have friends who have easily spent over $1,000 on a burmese python in its first year.

I'm saying this snake deserves a way better life. You have given it a better one than it has had. But I think it would be best if you were to give it to a professional. Like I said, go to the Streamwood reptile show and there are atleast 2 very well experienced burmese python breeders.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:14 AM   #32
myherps
Damnit, type error :

So that totaled up to
- All 22* of his snakes being taken away (and probably put to sleep.)
- And a $4,400 fine.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:12 AM   #33
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by myherps
You don't sound very experienced with snakes
Out of the mouths of babes....unbelievable.
Quote:
I'm saying this snake deserves a way better life.
Who are you, to comment on how this person cares for his animals?
Quote:
I think it would be best if you were to give it to a professional.
see my 2 previous comments
Quote:
Just in Illinois and in San Francisco
actually there are laws like this in existence across the country. In fact, in many cases, the locals may not even be aware of them (but as the saying goes: ignorance of the law is no excuse)
Quote:
Along with a $200 fine per animal.
no real reason to be fined for the corns...unless they were bigger than the state/local statutes allow. In which case, your friend was in the wrong (regardless of how stupid we may feel the law is).

Also, for the record, there was at one point a proposal within the City of Chicago that would have banned all boas & pythons, regardless of size, as well as a number of other popular reptiles/groups. Admittedly, I don't know the status of that...but the responsibility of adhering to state and local regulations is that of the keeper. (and unfortunately, simply inquiring about them can be enough to get people thinking). Frequently, there is a process by which one can be permitted to keep these animals - usually involving a small fee and a bit of paperwork. Since you mentioned burm breeders in your state, why not contact one (or more) of them and get the scoop.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #34
myherps
It is also illegal to own over 16 of one species of animal. You would need a permit for that. But they make no acception for the 6' law.

I don't know any burm breeders in this state. I know 2 that live in Indiana. 1 used to live in Illinois until he was caught with his 2 9' burms. After they took them he decided the hell with it and moved to Indiana where it is legal to own large constrictors.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!