You know what they say about diamonds - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
Skunky
Still little young un's then Diamonds are one of the longer of the carpets, correct?

Old 04-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #12
hhmoore
not quite 2yr old.
I believe that diamonds are the longest of the M. spilotes complex (coastals are right up there, though). Most people that keep them would be quick to correct your statement, saying that diamonds are not carpets...and that diamond carpet is a name more correctly applied to the intergrades. I am not up on current taxonomy (it gives me a headache, and is difficult at best to keep up with...especially trying to have the most up to date info. Once upon a time, they were all considered to be the same; but were subsequently broken down into various subspecies: spilota, cheyni, mcdowelli, etc), so I won't go into that, but diamond pythons (M spilota spilota, or M spilotes spilotes, depending on what you read) are the nominate race, and different enough in appearance not to be confused with any of the carpets. I think that a big part of the reason for the attitudes of many that keep them is that they are much less common, and much more expensive than carpet pythons...and they initially proved to be much more difficult to breed in captivity.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
ravensgait
Ah do love those Diamonds! One of the best looking snakes there are. Harald if ya ever have a male you want to get rid of keep me in mind..Randy

Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
hhmoore
I decided to resurrect this thread as opposed to starting a new one - I was just roaming through various cages, deciding which pythons were going to get cycled this year, and I came to the diamonds. They're 3.5 yrs old now...my gut tells me that the girl is just about breedable (could be done this season). My gut also tells me it would be best to wait another year. I'm running with that thought. She is a solid 5.5 ft, closer to 6, actually, and her cage is HER cage. Anything that passes through the door gets bitten (once she decides it cannot be eaten, she lets go). Tonite, she bit the hook when I opened the cage. Bit it again when it touched her. I took her out & she behaved marvelously for about 20 minutes while I examined her, and unwrapped her from the chair again and again. She crawled up my left arm as I was cleaning her cage with my right. I put her back in, on one of the perches, so I could cut and replace the paper. When I came back, a whole minute later, she gave me the look. As I started to put the paper in, she prepared to strike. The heck with that, I thought, the paper can wait. I washed and refilled her water bowl, and she bit it as I put it in the cage. Consistency...ya got to give her points for consistency. Guess I'll pull some food for her tonite, so she can bite something softer.

yeah - I know....I suck for not taking new pictures, lol.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
Gib
Glad to see this thread resurected harald!!

if your still looking around for pure diamonds I would say drop Will Bird an Email sometime he probally has the largest collection of verifiable diamonds in the states now and has animals from 3 different bloodlines if im not mistaken!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!