Leiopython sp. (white lipped pythons) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
CFoley
Leiopython sp. (white lipped pythons)

This is originally a carry over from a conversation that got started in one of the "For Sale" pages. It was mainly involving taxonomy, and got into only as far as listing the 3 various sp. Leiopython albertesi, Leiopython hoserae, and Leiopython barkeri. I figured if it was going to continue it should have a spot in the forums....

Either way, I just enjoy discussing my favorite species of python, so anyone feel free to join in.

I currently have 1.1 L. albertesi, and 1.1 L. hoserae

I may as well start with an opening question as well, Has anyone had trouble with their wlps feeding? I dont have picky feeders, but 2 out of the 4 (used to be all 4), will drop the food every time if you dont close up the cage or get out of the way fast enough. It seems they are way more interested in having to kill me because I havent left the room for them to eat. If they have dropped it, and I leave the room after, they will not pick it up again. Mine need a solid hit followed by swallowing, or they will not eat. Luckly for them being my favorite, I havent sold or starved them

Old 08-19-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
chevelljv
Feeding

I had a 3 out of 5 ratio. Two fed well with no problem or shyness whatsoever. The other three follow the same routine that you stated. I have one that hates me so bad that she will only eat in her cage with cardboard covering the glass. My biggest just likes to kill it a few times before she swallows.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
CFoley
I used to have alot more than I do now, 2.4 golds and 1.2 blacks, unfortunately I sold most of them about two years ago for some reason. I went down to about 10 animals, none of which being wlps. Now Im up to about 27, with 4 wlps. Hoping to get more, but Im starting school again next wed. So Ill just have to see how that goes..

I keep the shy feeders in darker rubbermaids where light gets in the back, normally they will eat out of that, but sometimes they just dont. I dont care for those cages because then you cant really see the animals.

What other animals do you keep Jimmy? (Or anyone else even?)

Old 08-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
chevelljv
collection

Well, I currently have a
1.0 blackthroat
1.0 nile monitor
1.0 golden tegu
1.1 ng frilled dragons
0.2 black phased white lips
1.2 burmese pythons
0.2 cornsnakes
1.0 gray banded kinsnake

If you had asked me 6 months ago it would have looked more like this.
1.4 black phased wlps
1.1 boa constrictor
1.1 dumeril's boa
0.1 irian jayan carpet python
0.1 yellowhead retic
1.2 burmese python
2.2 cornsnakes
1.0 nile monitor
2.0 bearded dragon
I have also kept red eyed crocodile skinks and bearded dragons with no luck. Due to my stubborness to recognise uvb as an essential part of lizard husbandry. I've been steadily moving in the saurian direction this past year. I especially like the monitors. I've been wanting a water monitor but think I need a lot more space before I tackle that one.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
CFoley
I must agree with you, I dont like working with UV at all. I also enjoy monitors, but I dont really have the room to keep them, nor the time, when I start school next wed. Ill only be comming home weekends, and possible Wed here and there.
I currently keep

1.1 gold wlps
1.1 black wlps
2.2 coastal carpet pythons
1.2 gtps
1.0 green anaconda
1.0 bci
2.3 cali kings (0.1 normal banded, 1.1 albino 1.1 albino)
2.2 leucistic texas ratsnakes
0.1 aru scrub python
1.0 indian cobra
0.1 black pakistan cobra
1.1 het albino retics
and
0.0.1 black throat monitor (hes a little guy, a rescue, who Im soon getting rid of....feel free to have him, Im getting rid of him anyway.)
Also a male rescue iguana that ive had for about 3 years just for the hell of it, i dont even like iguanas, but I found him under a tree in a snow storm, and his rear legs are paralyzed.

Im trading the scrub for a pair of Irian jaya carpets. The gtps and the black pak are pretty much sold, and theres a show Sept in NY, that will be pretty much the end of the dealings for the year.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #6
chevelljv
So does pennsylvania have strict laws for hot herps? I think I'm too paranoid of getting bit to keep venomous animals. Not that the thought hasn't crossed my mind. As far as the albigularis goes, if you're giving him I'd be happy to take him off your hands and find him a good home. Although if its a female I would keep it for myself. How much are you asking? Anyway, I think that's a smart move on the scrub. Are you a breeder or just an addict like myself. I've wanted to breed almost everything I have but have never had enough of a drive to do so. I would like to start with the blackthroats, but me and my girlfriend got the frillies just to see if we could breed lizards on a smaller scale. Just for fun really. I'm not looking to get rich, just think it would be nice if the animals paid for themselves.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
CFoley
Yeah, I agree. Ive tried twice to breed snakes, I was successful with a pair of timber rattlers (which are illegal, so I just let em all go), and the other time I tried dumerils boas, which failed for some reason.

As for venomous laws in PA, there are none... for now. All laws seem to be changing anymore.

Ill keep you in mind for the blackthroat, Id rather let him go locally being as Im not even getting money for him, but for right now, Im just cleaning him up a bit.

I have a few colubirds this year, they should hopefully breed as easy as the timber rattlers did, Im also trying the pair of IJCs, they should be old enough. More so though, Im just a hobbyist that wont quite lol.

Are the frillies really difficult?

As far as your black wlp goes, the reason I didnt buy her is how old she was imported. I understand they can be bred with time, but me being rather inexperienced in the breeding field, I want animals that are either CB, CH, or imported very young.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #8
chevelljv
Its all good. I had a feeling I was going to end up keeping her anyway. I really don't know how difficult the frillies are because I haven't had them for too long. I hear that they only need a short estevation and a sudden plunge into the rainy season to stimulate breeding. Supposedly, if the females are properly fed and maintain a good wight they should keep laying long after copulation. Its probably better to keep the monitor local. I've had the pleasure of meeting almost every new owner of my animals. All are doing fine except a little retic who suffocated himself where a branch was fastened to the wall. He was always getting into things. My cornsnake spent some time with a young anery, but only about a week. with any luck I'll have better luck then I did in march. I hatched out only two of seven eggs.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #9
CFoley
Nice. Do you have intentions of getting more wlps in the future? even breeding them?

I would like to breed both golds and blacks. After all my studying, Im finding 3 importances.

1) compatible pairs (sounds kinda tacky to me, but what do I know? Im getting this from people with success)

2) IMMACULATE conditions...Ive noticed this as an issue, you probably have too. If you dont pay enough attention as you should, and the cage gets a little cool, dirty, or too wet theyll go a week or more without food, maybe even get a little wheezy.

and 3) Time to mature...it seems females arent really mature til about 4 years, and males about 2-3.

I havent had any of my wlps since they were very young, my smallest one is a male who is about 3-3.5ft. I assume if I give all of them about 2 years in my care, thatll put their age over where they need to be.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 AM   #10
chevelljv
I have noticed that the conditions need to be exact. right now I'm having the greatest success with an ambient temperature of 82 degrees. That usually keeps the throat clear. I've also needed to spray the enclusure down rigorously. My big girl is in shed right now. When she's out I'll post some pictures for you. She recently had a weight problem. Last year she got out of a cage and my buddy found her in a fifty gallon tank where there was twelve adult rats. needless to say she couldn't get out after. I'm told she resembled a beaded necklace. So she got huge and I've had her on a diet for about six months. She's looking pretty good. I've been feeding her smaller rats more often to slim her down. It's been taking a while but I find it more humane than just not feeding her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!