???? about burm - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
SIRS
???? about burm

i jus picked up a burm today from a person that im guessing didnt care to much about it so i couldnt jus let it stay ...any ways its a male beautifull id say its 8 years old and it was stuck in a 55 gallon tank its whole life ..so my question is right now its small can you stunt there growth i mean he cant weigh more then 20 pounds and hes maybe 6 feet only, im figureing 8 years old he should be a heck of alot bigger ..another question is there any thing i can do to help it get it weight back or should i feed it like say a 3 year old considering thats about its size i jus feed it 2 large rats and he mopped them down quick i dont want to feed him to the point he gets sick but i figure ill feed him 2 large rats every say 4 or 5 days hes now in a much better enclosure for now hes in a 4 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot will he i guess now that hes in the right enviroment will he now catch up to what is size and weight should be or will he pretty much stay this size ..sorry for the babbleing but poor guy is way to beautifull to have been treated like he was so i feel i have 8 years a neglect i owe him also he is the most friendly little guy i have corns are meaner jus got him and not even head shy or any thing even after the terrible conditions he was in he still finds it in him to trust got to love them .. so if any one can 1-figure out all this babble and 2 give me any pointers id appreciate it alot

Old 01-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
monitorman85
i dont hav e burm but would like one alot.i would say 8 years old he should be atleast in the 10-12ft range.im not sure if you can get him back to the size hes suppose to be but you can put more weight on him.im not expereinced with burms but i thought i would try and help you some atleast or try to.got any pics of the little guy.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
SIRS
thanks for the help any help is good help to me ...no pictures yet jus got him today ill get some for sure once i figure out how to post them too ...thanks again

Old 01-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
monitorman85
no problem let me know if you have any more q maybe i can help more

Old 01-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
Snakes grow with the amount of food they're given. The size of the tank will not stunt his growth but severely underfeeding him will. It sounds like that's what the previous owner did. Just feed him like you are and he should start growing like a weed.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
hhmoore
Did you probe it, are you going by what the previous owner said, or are you guessing about the sex...doesn't really matter, I was just curious.
Quote:
beautiful id say its 8 years old
is it your opinion that the snake is beautiful, or that it is 8 yrs old (this one matters, lol). If you are guessing about the age, what makes you say 8 yrs? As Karen stated, the feeding schedule (meal size and frequency) is what controls the growth rate. It is possible to stunt a burms growth somewhat with prolonged underfeeding, so he may never get huge...but that isn't really a bad thing. As for your plan to feed it every 4-5 days - IMO, that is excessive. Keep in mind that this is an 8 yr old snake...he will do fine (and grow) on appropriate sized meals every 2 weeks. If you want to accelerate that a bit, you can feed every 7-10 days for a while (but, for the record, 20lbs at 6 ft is not underweight). Welcome to the world of big snakes.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
SIRS
i was told he is 8 years old no i didnt probe him again going on what i was told sorry for the mis understanding, guess i should have stood awake in school alittle more lol...and his weight is maybe 20 pounds ill have to weigh him to make sure i was jus concerned about him i jus picked him up today and figured everyone here would have some suggestions and i wanted some before i went the wrong route i guess i shouldn't have jumped the gun but i rather be safe then sorry and from what i see here everyone has alot of knowledge well thanks for the help and before i post again ill check out everything first including my grammer...lol

Old 01-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
hhmoore
It wasn't my intention to come off as some sort of language nazi...but since you mentioned it, punctuation and grammar do make understanding a whole lot easier, lol. My point was actually that if you were guesstimating his age (vs being told), it might have an impact on how you feed him. 6-7ft is right around the point where burms start "bulking up". Until they hit around 6 ft, most of their growth is in length. For the sake of reference, baby burms can easily grow to 4-6 ft in their first year & 9-12 ft by the following winter (2 1/2 yrs) - depending, of course, on husbandry, feeding, and sex.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
SIRS
well i do need to learn better punctuation but its tough when im trying to type with two fingers and trying to spell correct ..lol so if im understanding you correct hes fine now? see the question mark ...lol his body looks sunk in .. and for 8 years old i figured he would be bigger thanks for trying to help

Old 01-22-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
monitorman85
yeah if he realy is 8 years old he should be alot bigger and proble weigh atleast 90-100lbs or so.ive seen 2-3 year old burms that were 12ft.is he eatting fine and acting normal.is this your first burm just curious?ive been wanting one for ever but can never find a nice priced one that or a rock python there awsome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!