???? about burm - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
SIRS
yes this is my first didnt plan on getting one i was busy enough with all the others but once i found out about him and the conditions i couldnt walk away from him im no expert in burms but i know he will be cared for much better with me ..and housed and feed properly

Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #12
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRS
so if im understanding you correct hes fine now? see the question mark ...lol his body looks sunk in .. and for 8 years old i figured he would be bigger thanks for trying to help
Starting with the last - you figured correctly. At 8 yrs old, he should be bigger (see the sizes referenced in my above post for yearlings and 2 1/2 yr olds). As for him being fine, I didn't say that...nor could I without seeing him. All I have to go by is the information you have included in your posts...particularly an approximate weight of 20 lbs at about 6 ft (which I am guessing is a bit generous). At the very least, he is very small (lengthwise)for his age. As for body weight, when you come back with a definite number (from the scale), we can sort that out. If his body looks sunk in, he may well be underweight...good clear pics would help. He could also be dehydrated, have parasites, have some other physical problem...sorry to be vague and offer a bunch of "could be's", but you have the advantage of being able to look at the snake.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
monitorman85
i was just wondering im not trying to tell you your not ready for one or anything.i would have done the samething if i were you i wouldnt want to leave the poor guy to die or to be mistreated or anything.how much did you pay for him and what size of cage do you have him in?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
SIRS
Harald.your not being vague i understand where your coming from and i really do appreciate it ,im going to try and get a picture up a.s.a.p so you can better see i too thought about him being dehydrated he now has a big water bowl actually he's able to get in it if he wants i read some where u can do a 50/50 water and gaterade you know anything about that ..thanks again sorry for bugging you never delt with a snake in this condition ,but i will get him back to where he should be .thanks again ..........Steven i didnt pay anything for him it was not wanted ..as for his enclosure now its 4x3x2 its temp. i still have to get alittle more done to his bigger home but this one seems to suit him he has the space to strech out not like he did before me and thank you too for all your help

Old 01-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #15
monitorman85
im sure he will be fine in that cage for awhile.he can still stretch out most of the way.im glade he was free i was think you got him free or atleast next to nothing.let me know if theres anything i can help you with i will do my best.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
monitorman85
oh and yeah i have heard of the 50/50 water gaterade ive never done it but in a another site some one there has and they said it help alot but like i said ive never done it before.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:35 PM   #17
SIRS
will do thanks again

Old 01-23-2006, 12:57 AM   #18
hhmoore
Personally, I wouldn't use Gatorade...too much sugar and artificial crap. IF you have reason to suspect that the snake is very dehydrated, you can mix some Pedialyte with the water (I use the unflavored stuff). For questionable, or mild cases, just a period of soaking will do wonders. If the snake is "sunk in" because of malnourishment, don't fall into the easy pitfall of overfeeding him. In that type of case, I prefer to give smaller meals more often - it's easier on them. To help get a feel for what is going on - Take a good long look at the snake...the eyes, the top of its head behind the eyes (just at or before the thickest part...should be a little fleshy, not sunk to the bone), along its back (is the spine visible...skin tented), when you hold it - note the look/feel of its belly (does it seem to cave in as it goes over your hand). Check its sides (can you see/feel ribs) and look to make sure that there is nothing abnormal (bumps, depressions, etc). look for mites. Pay attention urine, urates, feces for awhile (how often, appearance, odor, etc). I guess I am getting mixed signals, or possibly misinterpretting things a bit, so if you feel the snake is in poor condition, consider a trip to the vet.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #19
SIRS
ok well i actually weighed the burm today.and i was way off he weighs right now 10 pounds and after he ate the rats ..i waited a day or so before weighing but does 10 pounds sound right ? 8 years 6 feet ill post a picture as soon as i'm able thanks

Old 01-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #20
hhmoore
I'm not really much for weighing my snakes, lol, but 10 lbs sounds about right (but that IS with 2 large rats on board)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!