EASTERN BOX TURTLES - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
ruby
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm6 View Post

You cannot legally capture Eastern Box turtles (from Ohio) and you certainly cannot sell them with any type of Permit or license.
That's what I thought, too. I wouldn't want to buy an animal that has been obtained illegally.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
bigalosu
Not technically correct...

I understand that everyone is trying to follow what they think the law is and I encourage it, however, many of you are not correct in this case.

With a commercial propagation license ($40), you may legally collect up to four Eastern Box turtles from the wild and keep them in captivity . You may also sell as many captive born Eastern Box Turtles as you want and keep or sell specimens if you can prove they were brought in from outside the state. There is also a a noncomercial propagating license ($25) that allows individuals to possess up to 4 wild caught and as many captive bred as you want, as long as they do not intend to sell or trade them. I have a commercial license and it was easy to obtain. Just stop at an ODNR location or check out the link below.

http://ohiodnr.gov/Portals/9/pdf/pub003.pdf

It is great that we keep tabs on each other and try to weed out the bad breeders/dealers. It helps keep legitimate law-abiding breeders going and maintains the survival of the species as a whole. I know for a fact that this guy has never sold at the Columbus Show on Harding Road. I've been trying to find an inexpesive adult EB female for over a year now and go there all the time. In fact, ODNR has many undercover agents that visit the show too and they do not take it easy on people who possess or sell native species without a license. It's kinda funny to think about undercover ODNR agents, but it's true.
Lastly, this dealer does seem sketchy. I tried contacting him more than several times in the past and told him I wanted to pick up a specimen and he never replied. I don't think he's legit and even noticed the other day that his wife posts the same specimens on here too, just under a different name: S&MTurtles. Not trash talking, just saying "Be careful".

Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
mbm6
Better read the regulations a little closer.

There are two different lists one is native species the second is natives species that can legally be capture up to four with the $40 propagation Permit.

Eastern Box Turtles are on the list of native species however they are NOT on the list of the four that you may collect from the wild (in Ohio). Only:
Common Musk
Common Map
Midland Painted
Red eared Sliders

May be collected (up to four)

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
HerpMasters Inc.
Looking for adult male ebt

I am looking for an adult male EBT for my females. You would have to ship to Florida. Let me know what you have. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
bigalosu
My fault on that slip. I don't believe in keeping specimens collected in the wild, so I never worried about that section. Just proves though, that we need to be fully aware of the law and not just listen to what people tell us.
Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpMasters Inc. View Post
I am looking for an adult male EBT for my females. You would have to ship to Florida. Let me know what you have. Thanks.
Isn't it illegal to own EBT's in Florida and also to ship them into Florida?

dc

Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
ruby
Direct quote from OH DNR official

"It isn’t illegal to sell captively produced or legally obtained from out-of state eastern box turtles. The seller would need to have necessary paperwork and I’d strongly recommend the buyer ask questions before purchasing any native species. Because Eastern box turtles are a state-listed species (Species of Concern) they can not be taken from the wild in Ohio. "

So seller must be able to prove (ie: have necessary paperwork) that the turtles are either captively produced (but where did the parent turtles come from? Were they legally obtained?) or that they were obtained legally from another state (receipts or other proof).

Given that there is only one state where commercial collection is still allowed (certainly not Ohio or any of its neighboring states), I would wonder about where any turtles may have come from. In fact, the only neighboring state that even allows possession is KY, but they don't allow transport out-of-state.

I think this seller would benefit from contacting OH DNR and finding out exactly what he's allowed to do with his WC Eastern Box Turtles.

And of course, BUYER BEWARE! You don't want to find yourself in violation of your state laws, or the Lacey Act for that matter.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
ruby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camby View Post
Isn't it illegal to own EBT's in Florida and also to ship them into Florida?

dc
According to my source, a Florida resident may collect and possess 2 Terrepene carolina total for personal use, however one may not buy or sell any Terrepene carolina , meaning Eastern, Three toed, Gulf Coast or Florida box turtle.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #19
steve darmochwal
I WANNA BUY SOME BOXIE HOW MUCH FOR 3 CARDOCJOHN@AOL.COM

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread