For Sale Big Baby Galapagos Tortoiese - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 AM   #11
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Tow-Arnett View Post
I agree they are not, but you don't really need to put sub in front of species every time. Technically, yes subspecies is the correct term but saying species to shorten the length instead of saying subspecies when the var. will be defined by the name that had given the subspecies the definitive status, species gets the point across to those that understand the terminology. Should they have technically said subspecies yes, but you and I get what they mean by calling them a species. To those that don't comprehend evolution very well, I can see where they would actually think there are 11 separate species by the information in the article.
One needs to use the correct terminology if one aims to be accurate. Calling subspecies species is not accurate unless perhaps referring to the nominate subspecies.

You asked for the species name. There is only one current species name for this species. Ken provided it. Then you stated 11 species when there are not 11 species (there are several subspecies). The article says 11 types. Not 11 species. Not 11 subspecies. The article's use of types is acceptable. You stated 11 species, so I would not be so bold as to lump myself or others into the "you and I" you mentioned. It now comes across like you are trying to rationalize not knowing the difference.

Circling back, Ken provided a reasonable response given what is known and what is not for these particular animals. These are excellent animals and any buyer should feel fortunate to have the opportunity to work with them. I would also hope that any buyer would know what species he/she is getting when buying a Galapagos tortoise since there is only one species.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
tortadise
Chelonoidis Nigra porteri(floreanaisland) is what made up a large population of life fellowships herd. C.N.Becki(wolf volcano locale on Isabella island)is also very densely kept among zoos and collections here in the US. University of Arizona/Yale can do a blood panel open phylogenetic breakdown from blood draws.

Ken and Jerry's production as stated is a great accomplishment. I have quite a few friends that posses offspring from this lineage. Great animals.

Good reference for anyone's viewing.
http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.o.../3347.full.pdf

Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
Nathan Tow-Arnett
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post
One needs to use the correct terminology if one aims to be accurate. Calling subspecies species is not accurate unless perhaps referring to the nominate subspecies.

You asked for the species name. There is only one current species name for this species. Ken provided it. Then you stated 11 species when there are not 11 species (there are several subspecies). The article says 11 types. Not 11 species. Not 11 subspecies. The article's use of types is acceptable. You stated 11 species, so I would not be so bold as to lump myself or others into the "you and I" you mentioned. It now comes across like you are trying to rationalize not knowing the difference.

Circling back, Ken provided a reasonable response given what is known and what is not for these particular animals. These are excellent animals and any buyer should feel fortunate to have the opportunity to work with them. I would also hope that any buyer would know what species he/she is getting when buying a Galapagos tortoise since there is only one species.
Technical newbie I get the terminology part but you are contradicting yourself . I should not have lumped you and I together without knowing more of your competence as I was giving you the benefit of doubt on hey this kid knows more than everything that looks like a turtle is a turtle. But then you made it clear you're that kid in class who hasn't understood words like kind, type and species are used loosely and interchangeably to refer to a certain subspecies and defining words like EXACT when asking an informal question. I know a few herpetologist that know far more than I do that when speaking informally aren't technically correct but I understand what they are referring too. You don't need to huff, throw your hands on your hips and get technical with me. For most people C. Nigra is the extent of what they want to know so I understand Ken's answer as I don't expect many people either to understand technical terminology when referring to a subspecies and many times it's just wasting words that go right over the person's head. If someone who is FOB or knowledgeable about reptiles were to inquire in more depth if I am talking about anoles for example, I'm more than happy to get technical with them. By your technicality if someone were to ask me what species of anoles I have from the Caribbean when I refer to anolis marmoratus I should say I only have one species from Guadeloupe? Even though I may have a couple of the subspecies? Or do I comprehend what they are asking me is how many types of anoles I have from the Caribbean? Ya still with me? Now let's say I advertise some for sale and someone inquires about wanting anolis marmoratus, well since technically anolis marmoratus inornatus is the same species as the 5 other subspecies, you think the buyer would be happy if that's what he got when he or she opens the box? NO! Just like what if only 1 or a few of the C. Nigra subspecies were to have the saddle shaped shell and that's what I wanted but that not what he had or vice versa, I wanted the traditional tortoise shaped shell and he only has the high saddle shape subspecies ay?

How do I know if what Ken has weren't a nominate species and I ask what subspecies do you have would also be incorrect wouldn't it? Or what if he were offering a species that had no subspecies and asking, what kind of subspecies do you have wouldn't be correct either. I could see and understand his reply being, Ah subspecies? Google it.

I never said or implied his response was not reasonable nor did I question the quality of his stock. If I thought he didn't have quality stock I wouldn't be inquiring especially being they are worth a pretty penny, well worth it IMO and when I'm not living in Minnesnowta, I'll definitely be getting a pair.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
nickolasanastasiou
Best of luck to you.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #15
dhct301
My one question to you did you ever have any real interest on purchasing one. What is your point other then to hijack this sale with nonsense.I made this mistake here before and realized its not my place to correct someone or argue over something especially if I had no interest in purchasing the animal. Just keep that in mind not looking to attack you

Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Ken Foose
Thank you very much for that. It's to the point that I almost pulled this ad so I did not have to log into fauna just to read a debate. OH, did I mention I have the only baby Galaopagos tortoises for sale in the US? Well, I do. I just didn't want that fact to get lost in the shuffle.
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 AM   #17
Nathan Tow-Arnett
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhct301 View Post
My one question to you did you ever have any real interest on purchasing one. What is your point other then to hijack this sale with nonsense.I made this mistake here before and realized its not my place to correct someone or argue over something especially if I had no interest in purchasing the animal. Just keep that in mind not looking to attack you
And thank you as well. Ken my apologies for getting off track and the novel in my response to his nonsense, I didn't realize that it was that long until I sent it. I'll pm you with my further questions. Kid you should've pm'ed me if you had an issue. No-one here should attempt to initiate confrontation and insinuate they are unintelligent. If you don't know the size or kind of the snake in the bush, don't be pulling his tail. I've studied reptiles for now 25 years, trying to learn it all, I've forgotten more than many enthusiasts know.

Ken I have a nice collection of expensive stuff. Anything I don't have that I want, it's either not obtainable or I just haven't found it. I'm thrilled that you have these offered for sale I've always wanted to show off my collection and say, you know, I've got a couple of Galapagos tortoises just running around here somewhere and wait for the response, wait what!?Shut the front door you do not, you're such a liar and reply with Hey Jeffy (that's my cat) where are my tortoises? (He's my mobile tortoise tracking feedback device and just an observer, he's never attempted to hurt one of my tortoises). Plus now I don't have to smuggle some back from the islands as a box of chocolate tortoise shaped truffles, PERFECT!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #18
dhct301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Foose View Post
Thank you very much for that. It's to the point that I almost pulled this ad so I did not have to log into fauna just to read a debate. OH, did I mention I have the only baby Galaopagos tortoises for sale in the US? Well, I do. I just didn't want that fact to get lost in the shuffle.
Like it was stated most won't even breed in captivity. Its an amazing feat and being the only ones in us speaks for itself on how rare. I'm not going to waste my breath on what he commented about me. For only 5k imagine owning one. That would be cool. Good luck and your welcome.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Tow-Arnett View Post
I'll pm you with my further questions.
Yes please do that.

Anyone else that wants general discourse or to argue with each other should also take it to PM.

This AD was getting quickly derailed, I thought it was done but seems to keep going.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!