Went for a little drive... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
WebSlave
Went for a little drive...

First time I've had the car out in over 2 months. The drivetrain noise I have been having off and on for, well, years, seemed to be getting a lot worse, so it kind of took the fun out of driving it. Well, that and we had a lot of rain from around mid May thru mid June, and I didn't feel like going mud bogging in the car on our sandy road.

I wanted to do a test drive, looking for evidence of a possible bad pilot bearing and set up my GoPro Hero 6 to take video. First time I have really used this camera. But as you will see in the video, the drive was pretty much noise free. Except from the exhaust, of course...

What I wanted to do was to run the car up to speed, and then leaving the transmission in gear, let off the gas pedal to bring the engine speed down to idle, then push in the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch pressure plate from the clutch disk. Therefore the car's speed would actually be high, but the engine speed would be at idle. That would have the drive train from the clutch disk back to the rear wheels spinning rapidly, yet the pilot bearing, flywheel, and clutch pressure plate would be only at idle speed. The idea was that if the pilot bearing were bad, then in this condition, with the torque tube input shaft spinning rapidly, if the pilot bearing were shot, I would hear a clatter or squealing as the nose of the input shaft rattled around in the bad pilot bearing. However, no such noise was evident when I tried that. I tried it a couple of times, just to be sure. So much for that idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM3b5ol3bQo&t

Actually, except for a minor squeal when coming out of my driveway, you would never think there was a drivetrain noise problem at all.

The GoPro seemed to do a pretty decent job. I guess image stabilization was enabled, because the video seems very smooth and stable to me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!