What is crypto? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-20-2003, 09:43 AM   #1
Donna
What is crypto?

I wanted to find out about different things that could make your animal sick or deathly ill.....IS crypto a parasite or what? Just trying to find out more if anyone can help!! I do not have any sick but have heard of it and wanted to know what to watch for and any info i could find thanks!! This was just a friendly question for the more experienced reptile owners! thanks Donna Christner

Old 01-21-2003, 02:19 AM   #2
CheriS
Donna,

Cryptosporidium is a parasite, currently classified as a coccidian, althought there is some debate if it should be. It effects more younger animals and ones with surpressed immune systems, Although can be found in all ages.

Here is a good site for information about it Biology of Cryptosporidium

Old 01-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
Donna
Thank you!!! Cheri I have been looking and could not find thanks a BUNCH!! Donna Christner

Old 01-21-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
veronica
testing

I'm wondering what sort of testing they do to determin if your animal has this?
I called my vet and they dont do reptiles and wont even do a fecal check for me on any of my reptiles so i have to call around for a seperate vet just for my reptiles.
Does anyone know if its just a fecal check?
also, what meds are given and is there anything they sell over the counter that could be put in the water to prevent other types of parasites?
I wont give my leo's or Fat tails pinkies since a friend in New York told me that she uses only frozen pinkies due to the parasite problems in live pinkies. Im guessing that freezing them kills the parasites.
Veronica Davidson

Old 01-21-2003, 11:57 PM   #5
CheriS
They are done by fecal test, there are several to detect them, the most commons are direct wet mount, fecal floatation ( flagellates and static nematode ova) Then there is a gram stain on a fecal sample

Gram negative bacteria is the more common in reptiles, if I have an reptile that is not acting right and a normal fecal test(wet mount or floatation) is clear, I have it check for gram negative bacteria, this detects the bacteria like Salmonella, Proteus, Providentia etc..

Cryptosporidium there is no cure for that I know of, this is not a parasite often found. The more common ones found in reptiles are called Isospora and Eimeria, usually treated well with a sulfa-type drug like Albon (sulfadimethoxine) or one of the tri-meth drugs. A big factor in getting rid of these coccidia are cleaning.... and then clean again. Most reptiles in the wild are not exposed to their feces, like in captivity. Small babies seem far more at risk to have out of control coccidia. Its thought they may not have build up the necessary good bacteria to support a strong immune system and stress easily which sets off a blooming of the oocysts. Another good cause for babies to be well established and not sold too young. Most healthy, well cared for reptiles can deal with coccidia themselves and it is not considered a concern if they have minimal amounts in their feces, some researchers think it may be a normal part of the digestive system. I have seen it reduced to a minimal level with good cleaning practice alone in beardies.

Treating the more common coccidia in reptiles is usually not that hard, although there seems to be a very high resistant strain of coccidia emerging. This is one of the main reasons to try to knock it out or to minimal levels early. Roger Klingenberg has a treatment method that I have found works well to follow, the key is not only the medication and duration, you also have to break the cycle of infection and to do that you have to take their living area down to basics, cleaning daily and avoid things that can introduce it to them again.

Treating water?... I know that Cryptosporidium does show up in city water supplies at time, and they do have a treatment method for it in the water, sorry, I don't know what it is they use. I prefer to just give them distilled water.

If your really interested in reptile health, one of the best books I have found and well worth the cost is Reptile Medicine & Surgery by Dr Douglas R. Mader

Old 01-22-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
Reptscue
Gotta read this!

I just came across this in another forum I belong to.Cryptosporidium(new drug just FDA approved)

Kim

Old 02-21-2003, 11:14 PM   #7
eyespy
Hmm, I wonder if that drug is effective against the strains of crypto that affect reptiles? The article only mentioned C. parvum which has never been documented in reptiles according to the CDC. They mostly get C. serpentis although occasional cases have been found where a reptile gets C. baileyii, a strain normally affecting poultry, especially turkeys.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!