Fecal tests? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 04-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #1
SnowFoxx
Question Fecal tests?

How many of you get every snake you buy tested for parasites? What if you know they are all CB, and what about the ones who come from "good" breeders? I quarentine all my animals for six months, but have never had fecal tests done on any of them, because they all appear healthy (put on weight well, make pretty poop, etc.) and most of them are from well known, and/or responsible breeders. Opinions?

- Victoria

Old 08-31-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
Gijs
agree

I agree with those statements. I have 5 Python Molurus Bivittatus and all were on QT for atleast a few months to see if it is 100 % OK. 6 months I think, is a bit long, but better safe then sorry. Must say that my snakes were all CB, and I have them from a local breeder, and saw the parents of my own animals. Some people have all the luck I guess :-)

But I ALLWAYS set the new one's apart to check on em..

I observe newly introduced snakes ( when put with others ) very VERY long ( sit and stare... just in case )

Feces research is actually quit easy if you know where your looking at. Some bacteria are visible on a 10 dollar kid microscope that goes as far as a 400 x magnification. Flagglates and Amoeba are visible, and can be indentified at that mag. ask a local vet to show you some pictures of them..

remember that flagglates are allways present in a snake, but only do harm in larger numbers... That ofcourse, shows up in the feces of your snake. So if ya do not mind the smell, just smack some fresh poo on a microscope, and start exploring :-)

Gijs van Waversveld http://members.chello.nl/g.waversveld/index.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!