Cloaca Infection - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
oskyle1567
Cloaca Infection

Was wondering if anyone has had experience with one? What methods do you use to clear something like this up? My snake is currently on baytril and f-10 fogger so i hope this clears it up. Does neosporin work on snakes? Also this snake has a really bad ri and i hope the baytril startes to clear things up because she is gasping for air I can hear it behind a closed door... Really sad feel so bad for her. I have tried to clear some of the mucus with a qtip but it just seems to stress her out and doesn't really get much.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
FireStorm
I've never dealt with a cloaca infection myself, but it sounds like your snake's immune system is struggling, given that she has two infections going on at once (maybe a systemic infection or something?). I'm guessing you took her to the vet, since you have Baytril, but if you have not, I would recommend it.

Neosporin isn't necessarily bad, but it's not great either. It will cause individual scale shedding because it's petroleum based. If you can get something that isn't petroleum based it would be better. The only thing I can think of offhand is Silver Sulfadiazine (SSD/Silvadene/Thermazene). It is generally used to fight infections in burns for humans, but it works for other wounds too and doesn't cause the scale shedding. You'll probably need a prescription for it, though (certain brand names are RX only, but the active ingredient can be sold OTC, it's just hard to find).

Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
reticguy76
pics ??

is the baytril for the potential cloacal infection? what dose? neosporin is ok, if its pure neosporin, with no pain relief.

from a veterinary medicinal point of view (which is what my line of work is), the proper thing to do is a culure of each suspected infected area (mouth/nose area for the ri, and the clocal vent) to see what it is sensitive to and resistant to. baytril may not work or may not be enough. pics of the cloacal vent and the face will be helpful, even a short video.

sounds like the snake has some immuno deficiency issues going on

whats the history and micro-environment ? (ie, where did she come from, did you see the facility and possibly the parents, how long has it been going on, what are her cage conditions like, what is her age and size, is she or has she been eating, etc)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!