Isn't this ILLEGAL - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-01-2003, 03:08 AM   #1
SPJ
Angry Isn't this ILLEGAL

The shipping part.
Just what this industry needs after what happened at the Ohio show.
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=40&de=110077

Old 07-01-2003, 05:26 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
It is not stated in the ad which shipper will be used.
The price though is $200 shipped for one and $180 for each extra. With that, one could assume they are using an overnight carrier, but it is not stated as such.
Before passing judgement on this person's shipping methods you'd need to ask them how they intend to ship the snakes.

Old 07-01-2003, 07:04 AM   #3
Ken Harbart
Quote:
With that, one could assume they are using an overnight carrier, but it is not stated as such.
It is, however, implied. The last I heard, Delta, Northwest, et al, don't deliver door to door.

Old 07-01-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
You are correct Ken. I read that ad at least 5 times to make sure I was reading it correctly and the "to your door" just didn't register.

So the answer to the original question is yes it is illegal. While it may technically be harmless to ship venomoids as such, there is no distinction made and it would still wreak havoc if something were to go wrong.

Old 07-01-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
SPJ
Even though a venemoid is "harmless" since the alteration, wouldn't the shipper AND the receiver be in a LOT of legal trouble if something did happen? The poor person delivering it would not know if was an altered snake. All they would see is a rattlesnake. Price is good for a venemoid but boy would I be scared ####less to have that thing going door to door delivery.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Steve,

Your are absolutely right. This kind of lack of responsibility is what we don't need in our hobby. I would either report it to kingsnake. Or put them up in the BOI.

Regards.

Old 07-01-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
franklinedwards60
Talking well

Delta will deliver to your for an extra cost

Old 07-01-2003, 05:19 PM   #8
Sybella
I don't understand what the problem is. He said they are venomoids and he has the papers to prove it. Is it illegal to ship a venomoid?

I just don't see the problem...what am I missing??

Old 07-01-2003, 06:25 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
Sybella,

Usually the carriers such as UPS and Airborne will not knowingly ship snakes. The likelihood for this shipment to go unidentified with the species is thus high (thus violating the Lacey act). If by any chance the snakes escapes (which has happened in the past), how would you like to be confronted (as a worker for the carrier) with a rattlesnake which you don't actually know it's a venomoid? How would you think this would reflect on the herp community?

Old 07-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #10
Ken Harbart
A rattlesnake is a raqttlesnake is a rattlesnake. There exists, nor should there exist, any legal difference between a venomous snake and a venomoid snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!