Bad Guy Al Brown-Browns Boas-Nightmare Transaction - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
snared99
Al Brown-Browns Boas-Nightmare Transaction

This transaction with me and Mr Brown started in july when he started posting steel racks on kingsnake for sale. We were looking for a steel rack for our breeders and his price was better then the rest. After contacting Al about a custom made v-35tub steel rack(30tubs in the rack 10 levels), we placed a $500 deposit for the build to begin. He qouted us $1200 plus the gas for delivery, and a 4-6 week time frame(to be delivered the end of august). Time had pasted and he claimed the rack was ready for delivery and we paid the balance. After multiple excuses the rack was not delivered til the end of september, which put me in a huge bind since i sold the old racks these animals were in and some of customers backed out due to the delay.

Al broought the rack and set it up, and then left. We left the rack on to heat up and make sure it works before we placed animals in it. The next day everytime we touched the rack we were shocked. Here Mr. Brown not only never used grounds on any of the levels, but cut across the black inner part of the tape and didnt tape the loose ends up on some of the level. Here my patients are running thin. After a bit of a struggle Al gave us money to have the tape rewired from freedom breeder, since i was not going to have Al redo it.

That is where I thought it had ended, but it doesnt. The rack was finally useable the third week of october. When cleaning the rack, not the tubs but the racks, yesterday we noticed rust all over the heat panels. And there was also rust on the welds of the actual frame. So not only did the total electrical system not work but now i have a rack that is rusting in only 2 months of use.
I will post pics to come of the rusting. Most of our communication was via phone, so I dont have too many email to post. Im working on the email end, not 100% sure how to do it.
I think this covers everything thus far. Mr Brown has been notified of this thread and the problem, in which he has no intention of fixing. At this point im sure im out alot of money, but i want other to know how Mr. Brown treats his customer. We have been more then patient with this transaction, and think our patients has been taken advantage of. Also there is a dispute currently with the CC company and Paypal, also a IC3 claim has been submitted. I hope this answer most of everything, please post with any questions.

Pat Kline
www.luxuriousleopards.com

Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
snared99
----- Original Message -----
To: BrownsBoas@comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:41:11 PM
Subject: steel rack

Dear Mr. Brown,
The last thing i wanted to do is contact you with another issue with the steel rack we had purchased from you, but unfortunetly there is another large issue. We have had this rack in use just under 60 days(delayed due to the electrical issue we had), and there is rust on every heat panel and rust showing on the cracks on the welds all over. I would assume a rack is not suppose to rust at all, let alone in such a short amount of time. I can provide you with pictures if you wish. I have contacted you to let you know we are investigating means of a refund at this point. As a breeder yourself you can imagine a rusting rack is not fit for your animals. Hopefully we can settle this calmely and in a professional manner. I appreciate your time in this manner.
pat kline
www.luxuriousleopards.com

-----Original Message-----
To: snared99@aol.com
Sent: Sun, Dec 12, 2010 5:22 pm
Subject: Re: steel rack

We are no longer buliding racks at this time. I was only the middleman in the situation and none of the fabrication was done by myself... Jeff didn't want to continue buliding them... There was no warranty on the rack given or stated at anytime. And we do not give a warranty due to the fact that we don't know how the rack will been treated..

I would like to wait and see what paypal has to say about the situation...

Thanks,

Al Brown/Brown's Boas
PH:423-309-8871
www.BrownsBoas.biz

HI,
We have contacted paypal and the CC company as well as placed a interenet complaint with the IC3, assuming you will be contacted soon. The rack has been used exactly as stated with the thermostat with fattails and leopard geckos in it. Was the heat panels made with sheet metal?? Maybe that is the issue? We have spoken with freedom breeders and galvanized steel is what is needed to not rust. The actual frame is not rusting very bad, just in some of the seems, but the panels are getting alot of rust build up. I really just want a working rack that will last, which is exactly what we spoke about in july. I think the only savior for this rack is to get all new panels from freedom breeder or ars. I realy do not want to go through all of this and just want a working rack. As far as the middleman in the situation I understand that, but it was purchased through you, which places responsibility on you and your business. If new panels is all that is needed and you can work with me on this, I will drop the disputes with all three companies. LEt me know your thoughts.
pat

Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Utta
Being the middle man is no excuse. If anything it puts more pressure on him because his name is on the line, not the people he "works for". i hope you can get a refund of some sorts. have you thought about looking to see how much the galvanized steel panels would be, and asking him for the difference?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
snared99
To have the panels custom built by freedom breeder would be around $33 each so prob close to $400 shipped

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
bryanlucas
He is not the "middle man" as he claims. I have spoke with him on the phone and he was building the racks himself. This guy is a stay at home dude, he keeps boas and his wife works everyday. Al has also told me he suffers from bi polar disorder. No wonder he's not making the racks anymore if they rust after 2 months... he knows that the racks aren't suposed to rust in that short amount of time. I would take him to small claims court, all of your money should be refunded.... EVERY DIME! Don't stop until you seek justice!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by snared99 View Post
We were looking for a steel rack for our breeders and his price was better then the rest.
A lot of times you get what you pay for. A lot of the steel racks are powder coated or painted. I don't know what your racks are like, but if they are bare metal you would get rust in no time. Are these racks bare metal or painted?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
snared99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
A lot of times you get what you pay for. A lot of the steel racks are powder coated or painted. I don't know what your racks are like, but if they are bare metal you would get rust in no time. Are these racks bare metal or painted?
Yes this rack is powder coated. The issues with the rust are mainly on the heat panels. There is rust on the frame but mostly on the welds.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by snared99 View Post
Yes this rack is powder coated. The issues with the rust are mainly on the heat panels. There is rust on the frame but mostly on the welds.
If that's the case, then the rack should not be rusting so soon. He either didn't prepare the metal properly before powder coating, or he powder coated over existing rust. That sucks for sure.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
shane159
I live near Al and am at his place at least three days a week buying feeders and what not. I have nothing but positive experiences from Al . I can't speak for his racks nor do I wish to ,b/c I have never used them, but I can say that he does not build them himself.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
bryanlucas
Maybe Mr. Brown can come over and explain himself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!