Dragon getting a temper - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
CassieK
Dragon getting a temper

I'm hoping that this is just a phase and will go away although it is cute. I feed my dragon in a sperate container so i dont have to worry about chasing crickets. The last few times i have gotten him out to soak him for sheding and feed him will puff up his body and his beard and will change colors. This last time i went to get him out to feed him he even opened his mouth and hissed. It is pretty cute him being a big tuff guy but I dont want it to become a problem and dont want to have an agressive adult. I'm hoping it is just a phase as even my snakes go through im going to hurt you phase but I wanted to make sure its not something i should be worried about.
Thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
reddragon36
We have had two beardies that were like this when they were young, both were males and they out grew that stage as they got older. They turned out to be two of the most sweet and loveable boys we had. Then there was the devil spawn, no matter what we did he would attack your hand as soon as it was put in the tank. No matter how much we tried to hold him and love on him, he still wanted to have his finger snack. Just keep trying. Hopefully he will out grow this stage.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Tere Salazar
Is he allowing you to pick him up without causing a fuss? If it's something he's doing only in his feeding/soaking bin, I would think something about that bin is scaring and/or making him uncomfortable somehow. If that's the case, you may want to try feeding him in his "home" and see if that helps at all.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
CassieK
No he does it while he is in his tank like he is being territorial but I can reach right in and grab him with no problem doesnt try to bit or run. Seems like he is just tryint to put on a show. He has only started to do it the past couple days. It might be cause he is angry at me for playing with his tail so much trying to get the shed off. As soon as I get him out of the tank his he is happy hunky dory, deflates himself and goes back to normal. Loves to soak in the sink, and as soon as i put him in the feed container he looks to the sky and waits for the goodies to fall. lol.
Thanks again for your help

Old 09-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Tere Salazar
You know what it might be? Are you reaching at him from above? Try reaching for him under his chest, with your hand coming under him, rather than above him. If you're moving in from above, he may think your hand is his predator...if that makes any sense.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
CassieK
when I go to pick him up i usually come at him from the side and put my fingers under his chest, lift up alittle and he will crawl on my hand to get support. he is an odd little guy

Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Tere Salazar
Okay, good. I'm glad you don't do that from above move. He sounds like a precious little guy with a ton of personality. You're probably having so much fun with him, huh?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
CassieK
We are having tones of fun with him he is so intertaining. Today has been funny cause he has been a little angel ate some of his vegies (which he hardly touches) didnt fuss about me reaching in to get him. I took him out to sun bath as a treat, he loves it and his colors just look amazing in the sun. He is scarded of cars though lol every time one drives by he has to scurry around as soon as its gone he is back to snoozing all sprawled out.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
Tere Salazar
Awww! You're going to have to get some pics of him outside sunning himself. He just sounds darling. About how big is he?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
CassieK
I measured and weighed him about a week ago and he was 8 1/2 in. and about 20 grams.
Here are some pics of him sun bathing some part of him always seems to be getting ready to shed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!