Adult boa extremely defensive - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #41
Big Borg Reptiles
Thinking about it, there were two other boas that were also very hissy and angry with me during that cleaning period, so maybe that did play a part. Those two have both calmed down already, so maybe it is just a matter of time.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #42
Big Borg Reptiles
Towel trick = Amazing. I had to move racks around the other day and she was one who needed to move. Put the towel over her head and she never even hissed. She did try to strike at me again once I put her down in the new tub, but she didn't hiss at all like she had been. She's been much much better overall, which I think is in large part due to the fact that I haven't been trying to handle her at all. I simply spot clean, change water, and if she seems like she isn't super angry, rub her body a little bit so she gets used to me touching her (I was only brave enough to try that once so far lol). Thanks to everyone with the help, I think time will be my best friend in this case.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #43
Big Borg Reptiles
Also, turns out it's a marron -.- soooo hopefully there will be some super marrons in my future lol.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #44
Helenthereef
That's all great news, glad you've managed to do a clean without losing any body parts!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #45
bcr229
It's been a few months, has there been any improvement?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #46
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
It's been a few months, has there been any improvement?
I don't remember if I updated or not but it turns out this girl has always had a bit of an attitude. I talk to the previous owner and apparently this was nothing new. After a couple months she got used to me and wouldn't go nuts if I opened her cage (non-stop hissing, striking at the glass, etc) but she never calmed down to the point where she was ok with me cleaning her cage or moving her.

Basically what I started doing was turning her to face the other way when I needed to clean so that she didn't have a clear shot at me, and that seemed to work alright.

I'm back in WA now (this girl was in FL) and starting a couple specific boa projects, and I'm only buying babies or yearlings. With snakes that get bigger I'd rather raise them myself, that way I know they're being handled regularly and won't be so difficult to manage when they get large. It's unfortunate in the sense that I'm going to have to wait 3 years to see any offspring but that's a price I'm willing to pay to have snakes that I can actually handle and enjoy.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #47
bcr229
Darn I was hoping you were going to post progress made and any tricks you'd picked up along the way. I just took in a common adult male that's very like the boa you described as his owner is leaving the country for a year or more. Odd thing is he started off ok and at about 18 months old he started turning super defensive. No reason for it as far as his former owner or I can tell - he's healthy, eats, poops, sheds, etc. The other boa I got from the same guy is sweet as pie, and she's a CA so I'd expect attitude from her.

He's four years old now, five feet, and hits you anywhere he can reach if you pick him up, unless you put a t-shirt or towel on his head before moving him to a holding tub when his enclosure needs cleaning.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #48
Big Borg Reptiles
That's exactly how this girl was, she'd twist around just to bite you. I never got to the point where I could pick her up, only to the point where she wouldn't immediately snap at me when I opened the tub. The unfortunate thing is that when they're grown it's nearly impossible to "show them it doesn't scare you". It did scare me lol. That's why I say, all boas I get from this point on are going to be babies or very young.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #49
Helenthereef
My angry girl seems to have grown out of it.... She was OK as a youngster, then had a very defensive 2 or 3 years and has calmed down again now (Now 7 years old). Wonder if they go through a kind of adolescence?

The snappy phase was when I was expecting her to mate but she wouldn't have a thing to do with the boys. Since I separated her tank from proximity with the males she's settled a lot. I still only move her when needed though, she's just not a cuddler.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!