Bloodred Corns? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #21
norsmis
Playing with genetics is a guessing game at best. Sure we can predict what will happen most of the time but when so many snakes have been line bred and then bred into other lines and other lines and so on..... Who knows what will pop out. Statistically there shouldn't be anyway to produce a normal from 2 amels.... Maybe there is some ultra in the blood lines????

Old 06-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #22
Serpwidgets
Every year there are one or two claims of impossible breeding results. Nobody yet has bothered to prove that the "impossible" happened.

There's definitely a rational explanation, there always is. It isn't inbreeding or linebreeding, I'm not sure what this has to do with it. And it isn't ultra, because if both snakes are homozygous amel then there's no ultra to be found.

The female does not need to have been housed with a male. Several cases of impossible results have come from a female being placed with a male "just for a couple of minutes while I was cleaning her tub." :scatter:

Since the female is an amel stripe and you at least know that she is the mother, if you wanted to figure out what happened, I would suggest breeding one or more of the normals to bloodreds. If they are in fact from the amel blood male you will get bloods from such a pairing.

Also I would suggest breeding both parents to amels again next year. If something funky is going on (such as one of them is a chimera and its testes/ovaries have a different genotype than what you're seeing on the outside) then the results should happen again. If you breed them to different amels instead of each other, and something happens, it would tell you which one of them is producing the odd results.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #23
Mary-Beth is KoRny
Was she put in with a "female" while you were cleaning her tub?
Maybe it's as simple as a mis-sexed snake.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #24
Drizzt80
Any updates on this yet?!

D80

Old 07-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #25
Mike Greathouse
The babies are all doing well. I still have no explanation for the results from this breeding. There are three "Normal-looking" babies - all males. but even they don't look all the normal.

Here is a picture of one of the typical Amels:

Here are a couple pictures of the "Normals":

I have gone through this over and over again and I cannot explain these babies existence within this clutch. I cannot recall a single incident where the female would have been exposed to another male. All of my Colubrids are maintained separately, except during breeding.

I have every intention of breeding these animals next year to try and figure out just what is going on here. Of course, I'm a couple years away from doing anything with these "Normal" males.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:43 AM   #26
ecreipeoj
A similar thing has happened with Boas

A Sharp Albino Boa het Kahl x Kahl Albino, will produce Albinos and Normals in the same clutch even thought both parents were albinos. We have about 6 hypo strains now, and two Amel strains, even though one is not wide spread, why not three? The Amel gene in Emerys, could easily work its way into Corns, via Creamsicles, especially when a Creamsicle is bred to an Amel and looks like an Amel.

If you breed a Ultra het Hypo X Hypo, you will get Hypos and Normals in the same clutch even though both parents were hypomelanistic. The same exact thing could be happening here.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #27
M.Dwight
Mike
Obviously one of the parents is not homozygous amel (at least not the common form.) My guess would be one of the parents is homo for some type of hypo such as ultra or perhaps lava (or homo for more than one form of hypo) and het for amel. A corn with these genes may mimic an amel right down to the pink/red eyes.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #28
M.Dwight
Oops....I meant "Christamas or lava." Not ultra. Sorry.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #29
Willis Wildlife Enterprises
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
I'll try and post some pictures of the parents soon.

Thanks,
We're still waiting for pics of the parents.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!