Mosaic - A "Stone Washed" Argentine - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #31
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Yes, but if you breed her and all her offspring is normal-looking it may be a recessive not manifesting itself, right?

Regards.
That is correct, but if it is a straight recessive, then both mom and dad would have to carry the gene to produce Mosaic in the first place. Out of three litters, this trait should have been exhibited more then once.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #32
Dennis Hultman
Spectacular! Congratulations on getting the feature too.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #33
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
That is correct, but if it is a straight recessive, then both mom and dad would have to carry the gene to produce Mosaic in the first place. Out of three litters, this trait should have been exhibited more then once.
Either that or you were "extreeeemely" unlucky with your previous clutches (which might be possible). Now, if it's a random mutation, that's a different story altogether, and it might at least a couple of generations to prove her out.

Regards.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #34
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Either that or you were "extreeeemely" unlucky with your previous clutches (which might be possible). Now, if it's a random mutation, that's a different story altogether, and it might at least a couple of generations to prove her out.

Regards.
Thats what I'm thinking. In three litters with 20+ babies each with low to non-existant slug counts, the odds of a simple recessive only being displayed once are astronomical. Needless to say, Mosaic is a long-term project.

Of course, we could just attribute Mosaic to a favorable nod from the boa gods. 2003 was a very unusual year for me with boas.

Mosaic popped up in a normal litter.
Pip (my little dwarf Colombian) popped up in a normal litter.
and I produced a line of striped anerythristics from two separately rescued normal boas. It was a great year for karma!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #35
Mike Greathouse
Sorry everyone - no new pictures tonight.

It's pouring rain so I decided to set up inside. Of course as soon as I had everything ready and went to retrieve Mosaic, I discovered that she is in shed.

The good news is that in a few days, I'll be able to take some pictures when she is at her absolute best.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #36
Griz
So Mike, when are you going to let her go? I have a special boaphile all set up for her!

Griz

Old 08-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #37
densnake1
Awesome looking snake Mike. My wife even likes her and that is amazing.lol Congrats
Dennis Cook

Old 08-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #38
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz
So Mike, when are you going to let her go? I have a special boaphile all set up for her!

Griz

Griz, I bet you do.
Of course, I have yet to see any offers!
I'll warn you though, she'll be a tough one to talk me out of.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #39
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Griz, I bet you do.
Of course, I have yet to see any offers!
I'll warn you though, she'll be a tough one to talk me out of.

Give you $2000 worth of trades right now! Say, a triple het moonglow early 05 model!

Griz

Old 08-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #40
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz
Give you $2000 worth of trades right now! Say, a triple het moonglow early 05 model!

Griz
Griz,
If I was convinced to release her, I would most likely do it as a project. In other words, a package deal with her mother and the male from the same bloodline.

Thank you for your offer, but at this time, I will have to decline.

Thanks,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!