Corn ID please - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #31
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Okay, so what if I went out into the National Forest and captured a corn snake. There are A LOT of grey rats around here. How can I be sure that the cornsnake I captured doesn't have grey rat blood in it? Should I label that snake's offspring for sale as 'possibly not being pure'?

Kathy started her candy cane line with creamsicles and miami's....how many people have bought candy canes from her not knowing that? How many people have crossed those snakes to others, therefore creating more 'unpure' snakes?

See what I mean? There's a possibility that every snake isn't pure. While I totally agree that you should label a known hybrid/intergrade as such, I think one needs to be careful about labeling suspected snakes as such.
Yes Kathy Love did and she says this on her website. If I even suspect the snake is not pure corn, I will say so. And yes, if you have a wild caught snake that you think has crossed in the wild with a grey rat then you should say so. This has gotten out of hand with other snakes also like Hog Island Boas. I see them posted all the time as Hog Islands when they are obviously crossed with BCC or BCI blood.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #32
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsmis
Yes Kathy Love did and she says this on her website. If I even suspect the snake is not pure corn, I will say so. And yes, if you have a wild caught snake that you think has crossed in the wild with a grey rat then you should say so. This has gotten out of hand with other snakes also like Hog Island Boas. I see them posted all the time as Hog Islands when they are obviously crossed with BCC or BCI blood.
You're missing my point.

What if you DON'T know? Should we always err on the side of caution and say, 'this snake might not be pure?!' I'm sure a very large portion of the snake population in captivity 'might' not be pure. How many people own Kathy's candy canes and have no idea there might be emoryi blood in there?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!