One eyed albino boa, should I kill him? - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Kill it, or keep as a non breeder/pet
Keep as a pet 112 88.89%
kill it! 14 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #61
Metachrosis
Arrow

and the drama finally ends .............

Old 12-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #62
SenorSnake
I'm getting into this one a little late, and I must admit I haven't read the posts so this may have already been said...

This is our first year breeding albinos (hetxhet breedings) and we discussed that if there were any missing eyes, etc. that we would talk to our vet and see if it was possible to get them fixed, then sell them for enough to cover the surgery to someone who just wants an albino as a pet/display piece, or sell as pet only and have the buyer sign a no-breed contract.

If it was obviously a genetic problem, and not an issue with the incubating process we'd also not try the pairing again...

Old 12-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #63
The BoidSmith
Welcome to Fauna Jamie!

I don't think you will find a vet that would be ready to perform such a surgery; and if there was, the cost would probably astronomical. As far as signing a no-breeding contract...a person willing to honor that commitment doesn't need to sign it, and a person not willing to honor it will not be stopped by a piece of paper.

Just my thoughts.

Regards.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #64
SenorSnake
It'd be interesting to find out. I have to have an exotic canine neutered soon so I'll ask our exotics vet if it is possible to sterlize a snake, and the approximate cost of such a procedure... of course, i'll post the verdict after I find out. He's always dealt with our boas (and always has been very good with them), I figure if anyone in the Chicago area could do it it'd be him. And thanks for the welcome!

Jamie

Old 12-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #65
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorSnake
I'll ask our exotics vet if it is possible to sterlize a snake, and the approximate cost of such a procedure...
Jamie
I had a male BP rescue that had both hemipenes everted, and left that way. They dried up, and when I got him, I thought at first it was worms of some kind.
Long story short, the penes were removed completely, and the BP in question is still going strong with his new mommy. In that aspect, I am sure this BP cannot breed without his jewels, so perhaps it is an area to concider. ???

Sure wouldn't want it done to me though, not that I use the thing anymore. HA HA

Females however, I would imagine it being a costly procedure, I just don't know, but the BP thing only ran me about $150 total for a male.

I sure wouldn't trust something like that to ANY exotic vet. It would have to be a REPTILE vet before I would even concider it.

My $0.025
Rick

Old 12-22-2006, 05:07 AM   #66
DNA Morphs
Take it for what is is worth. We at DNA morphs have bought and have had great success with a 1 eyed snake. Was he / she born with only one eye or was it due to injury. If you are looking at letting this snake go please call me at 1-719-836-0132. If it is eatting and anything besides a retic or anaconda I would love a change to breed him and see if it is something that shows up alot or just a freak thing with this one. PLEAS IF YOU STILL HAVE HIM / HER AND WISH TO MAKE A GOOD DEAL WE AT DNA MORPHS ARE VERY INTERESTED IN OBTAINING THIS ANIMAL.
DAN
1-719-836-013
dnamorphs@starband.net

Old 12-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #67
SenorSnake
I think DNA missed the point. Now I know one less place to get hets/albinos from.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #68
Cat_72
Dan, not trying to be condescending here, as I am a newbie to boas myself, so please don't take this wrong.....but how much do you know about the genetics of albino boas, and the reasons NOT to use this animal for breeding?

Old 12-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #69
The BoidSmith
Dan,

There's not much to "discover" there. Please do a search. There's plenty of information in the topic. The only thing you will be able to prove is that people will be reluctant to buy from a person who is willingly buying boas with eye defects. Just trust the research that's out there, the trait is hereditary...

Regards,

Old 12-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #70
Seamus Haley
Anyone who may have voted for keeping it alive starting to see why I favor the permanant solution when culling?

There's really only one practical way to keep a reptile out of the breeding population and be 100% sure that the goal has been accomplished.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!