ReptiCon Show in S.C. was burglarized last night!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Police Blotter

Notices

Police Blotter General notifications about thefts, breakins or and cases where animals or materials are stolen. Photos of the merchandise taken can be posted to help with recovery.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Neil Gubitz
ReptiCon Show in S.C. was burglarized last night!!

Tony Cueto (promoter of the Florida Shows) called me this morning to inform me that last night (Saturday), the ReptiCon show in South Carolina (run by Bill and Tina Russell) was broken into and EVERY VENDOR WAS WIPED OUT OF THEIR STOCK!!.... Hit HARD was George Ullman of over $11,000 in tortoises.... they made off with everyone's most expensive animals.... the police are there right now investigating.... There was NO overnight security!!

We wanted to get the word out immediately, because Tony thinks they are heading to Florida to unload this stuff.... obviously, if ANY OF YOU are approached to buy some expensive animals in the next couple of days, be VERY CAREFUL who you are dealing with....

If you have any information about this burglary, you can contact Tina or Bill Russell at 863-419-4868....

If you go to www.ReptileShowCrooks.com that site will keep the investigation updated every step of the way....

Neil

Old 07-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
pitbulllady
Man, That Sucks!

I was there yesterday, and I was so pleased that it seemed to be a nice little show. I was worried on the way down, during the two-hour drive, that I'd get there and hardly any vendors or customers would show up, much like the North Augusta, SC, show, back in the spring. There appeared to be a nice turn-out, though, in spite of really hot, muggy weather, and I was thinking on the way home that this show could eventually grow into a large annual event, and we need more reptile shows in the Carolinas. Now, something like this has to happen! Lots of people I know had tables down there, and it hurts to think of them losing their valuable animals. One had just gotten started back in business after losing all of his rodent breeding stock last winter during an ice storm. I sure hope that the police will catch the thieves, but the lack of overnight security is a big issue.

Sharon McKenzie

Old 07-25-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
gila7150
Were the vendors told that there would be overnight security? I sure wouldn't have left my animals at the show if security wasn't being provided.
It would be helpful if Tony could put together a list of some of the more unusual animals that were stolen so we know what to look for.
...Hope they nail the dirtbags that are responsible.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Vince
please post a list of what to look out for as soon as that information is available.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Neil Gubitz
Folks.... All updates will be posted on

www.ReptileShowCrooks.com

Keep checking that website for additional information as it is learned....

Neil

Old 07-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
KNOBTAIL
hey NEIL

does Tony have any insurance for theft and does the facility have an insurance carrier that hosted the show? Their is some liability issues here, and this can be a problem for future shows.

I would not be surprised that in the future small shows will have you sign a waiver of liability. Basically "enter at your own risk". vendors should seriously consider as someone mentioned, to take home the more expensive herps if its going to be a 2 day affair. JERRY

Old 07-25-2004, 06:18 PM   #7
Neil Gubitz
Jerry.... You're getting a little mixed up there buddy.... This was NOT one of Tony's shows.... It was promoted and produced by Bill and Tina Russell....

I don't know what type of Insurance policies Tony has for his own shows, but I CAN tell you that he spends a LOT of EXTRA money on security for HIS shows.... including OVERNIGHT security who actually STAY IN THE LOCKED SHOWROOM AT NIGHT.... At his Orlando FIRE show, NOT ONE THING WAS STOLEN from anyone!!....

When promoters start taking Tony's lead, they will be a lot happier (and so will the vendors)!!

Neil

Old 07-25-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
KNOBTAIL
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I

thought it was Tonys show. In either case, it can be a sticky situation. I am glad to see that Tony has provided additonal security. Unless these animals are microchiped, proving ownership can be difficult especially if these crooks can afford to sit on these items.

What amazes me is the length that some people will go through in order to steal herps. This had to have been a well planned execution. Does anyone know how the left the area?

Old 07-26-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
bpc
Hello all, I was a vendor at the show. I best story I heard was that somehow someone hid inside the building, and waited for everyone to leave. They then kicked open a door and exited w/ the animals. The list of animals taken is big and impressive. High-end tortoises were much of what was taken. I can't remember everything that was on the list but perhaps we can get someone to post it. For now be on the lookout for anyone selling high-end baby torts. A pair of adult tri-colored hognose were also taken, those stand out a little so watch out for them as well.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #10
Lynn
This is the reason I take ALL my reptiles with me when I leave. I do not care if someone sleeps there or not. I would rather take the extra time to pack them up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!