Look Out Bearded Dragons Are Venemous - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
They are certainly interesting articles . I'll have to do some more research on this topic before I post an opinion.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
FireDrake
I tell you what, It sure makes sense to me, every time I get bitten by one of my dragons it itches like CRAZY. In fact, if I just get their saliva on me, even without a bite, it itches!

I just hope local governments dont get wind of this, they will try to ban them!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
markface
very interesting . it also explains alot especaily with the monitors .

Old 04-27-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
NicoleO
Oh please someone's been watching that stupid kids movie Holes a few to many times. I've been bitten by my beardies several times and I've never had a problem, I even had one break the skin in a bite but it healed just fine on its own without antibiotics. Humans have more bacteria in their mouths than any animal on the planet but you don't see people doing studies on human bites and say that we're poisonous even though we actually are on a bacterial level. There are actually more cases of human bites recorded than animal bites but we still insist that the animals are more dangerous even though the animals are just trying to protect themselves.

These studies are fine until they become ammo for someone thats against people that keep these animals or when some kind of bacterial infection comes up and they can blame the animal for it even though it was their poor hygiene that caused the problem in the first place. I don't mind having this information but we all know that in the end someone's going to be an idiot and use these studies to try to hurt someone else because thats just human nature.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
scalesnstuff
Actually

I have had a copy of this for 7 months now. The scientists that originally did the research also held it for a short period of time. Their main concern was exactly what you said. People going overboard. The venom is similar to a rattlesnakes but is such a small amount it is barely fatal to a bug. The only thing these scientist were trying to prove is that it is not the bacteria that can make the bite area swell but the venom.
I seriously doubt much will come fo this anyways, there are spiders and scorpions that pack more of a punch than these lizards ever can.
I personally found it to be interesting, I own 10 venomous lizards now

Old 04-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
FireDrake
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleO
Oh please someone's been watching that stupid kids movie Holes a few to many times. I've been bitten by my beardies several times and I've never had a problem, I even had one break the skin in a bite but it healed just fine on its own without antibiotics.
Well scoff all you want, this is true, I have a reaction to dragon bites, it is not in my head and its not because I saw Holes!

Old 04-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Cat_72
[quote=NicoleO]Oh please someone's been watching that stupid kids movie Holes a few to many times. I've been bitten by my beardies several times and I've never had a problem, I even had one break the skin in a bite but it healed just fine on its own without antibiotics. Humans have more bacteria in their mouths than any animal on the planet but you don't see people doing studies on human bites and say that we're poisonous even though we actually are on a bacterial level. There are actually more cases of human bites recorded than animal bites but we still insist that the animals are more dangerous even though the animals are just trying to protect themselves. [quote]

Nicole, it's just like a lot of things.....just because YOU have never had a reaction to a bite, doesn't mean that no one could. Most people survive a bee sting with some mild discomfort, others die within minutes of being stung. And no one is "blaming the animals" for protecting themselves. I've been bitten by my Beardies a couple of times, and it was my own dumb fault when it happened.

I found the article quite interesting, but I read it somewhat quickly, I'll have to go back and really read it when I have time.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
InFocus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDrake
Well scoff all you want, this is true, I have a reaction to dragon bites, it is not in my head and its not because I saw Holes!
I kind of have to agree with Sarah here. I was bitten on the under side of my forearm just infront of my elbow and I had a reaction that was not typical of most of the lizard bites I have received. Was I envenomated? No Bacteria...venom, I never had it cultured so who knows but it was not a usual bite.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
scalesnstuff
And that is all the study was for. To find out why the bites were swelling.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!