any guess on what could have bitten me? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
techgirl
any guess on what could have bitten me?

Three days ago I awoke to a sharp pain in my left inner thigh, now this morning I have a huge swelling the size of a racket ball that is hot and threatening to abscess out. Fortunately I have access to antibiotics, so I started myself on 750 mg of clavamox(similar to augmenten) twice daily and benadryl 25 mg three times daily. I also am applying bactoderm cream to it three times daily and bandaging it after warm compresses. I have seen some wolf spiders in the basement of my home but never in the house itself. I never did see a bite mark, it could have been too small for me to see and I also did not have my glasses on when it happened. Could a wolf spider have done this? Ironically my 2 yr old had this happen to her about a month ago when she developed something similar on her backside and came close to having to have surgery done on it to drain it. I know if there is no improvement in a few days time that I will need a doctor to look at it but I am curious to see if a spider is capable of having done this and if so, I need to probable get my landlord to get an exterminator in here to prevent from happening again. Thanks for your help on this matter.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
SPJ
Doubtful. They are basically a harmless spider.
Could have been a black widow. I've had them around my house and your location isn't all that far from me.
If it was a bite from a spider, DO NOT use a warm compress. That will actually cause the venom to spread.
Is it discolored around where the swelling is?

Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
varnyard
I doubt it was a black widow, they are said to cause unbearable pain.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
techgirl
It's just brick red around the site. I was doing the warm compresses because I was following the same routine we did for our daughter. The pediatrician thought she might have scratched herself and it got infected(plausible because it was her butt cheek that is covered by a diaper). I just find it ironic that a month later I am experiencing the same exact thing.
Coincidentally when I was 27 weeks pregnant with her I got bit by something when I was barefoot in the basement and I was extremely ill from that one(ie. vomiting, chills, shaking). Fortunately after a few hours the symptoms had subsided but I still have the mark on my toe from that bite and I never saw the bug that did it to me. It was scary because my boyfriend and his family were in mexico and I was home alone when that happened and I knew that the hospital can't really do anything besides monitor with pregnant women because of the risks of triggering labor or miscarriages.
I did forget to mention that I do have severe allergies to beestings and require to carry an epi pen for it. I was stung when I was 12 and went into anaphylactic shock less than a minute later. I was lucky, we lived next door to Passaic General hospital at that time.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
John Apple
Wow
No bite marks kinda throw me, and if your allergic to bees the systemic results from any bite can mean a bad staff or an absess from any bite.
look closer for puncture marks....2 close together mean some sort of spider and only one could be bed bugs. Yes even trhe cleanest of home could have them
Do you have sac spiders in your home, ya know the little gold and or yellowish ones that you see crawling at night and in a small web in the corners during the day...these guys can have a bite that leaves a necrotic lesion.
Ants can have similiar symptoms to people allergic to bees.
Hope this helps

Old 07-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
techgirl
I thought of bed bugs, but I don't see the typical staining on the edges of the bed matress piping or even little tiny bites from previous bites. I had a friend in the city go through this recently so I got familiar with what to look for with them. I fact I do have those little sac spiders in my house, a nest actually hatched of them 2 weeks ago in the kitchen and i had to remove quite a few of them. one of them is living in my mailbox now. Unfortunately i cant' look for a bite now because, not to sound gross, the area is starting to open and leak some pus. Can i tell you that it sucks and is very painful. lol. hopefully it will clear up with some time. This is what i get for not killing spiders. great.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
techgirl
P.S. I never went to my friend's place in the city and didn't get to see her until after the place was exterminated and she actually moved out to a different place and did have all her furniture treated as well. even with that she would have us meet at her mom's place because she didn't want to take the risk of transferring anything to anyone.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Apple
Wow
No bite marks kinda throw me, and if your allergic to bees the systemic results from any bite can mean a bad staff or an absess from any bite.
look closer for puncture marks....2 close together mean some sort of spider and only one could be bed bugs. Yes even trhe cleanest of home could have them
Do you have sac spiders in your home, ya know the little gold and or yellowish ones that you see crawling at night and in a small web in the corners during the day...these guys can have a bite that leaves a necrotic lesion.
Ants can have similiar symptoms to people allergic to bees.
Hope this helps
Sac spiders. Aren't they part of the recluse family? Are they found around the NJ area?

Old 07-27-2006, 04:23 AM   #9
techgirl
I did some research on sac spiders and it is looking to be pointing in that direction. The webs they make are exactly like the one that's living in my mailbox and the pics match the ones that I had to remove from my kitchen. Even the bite reaction matches, the sharp sting similar to a bee sting and the swelling with the abscess. I'm starting to notice a slight decrease in swelling but it's still rock hard. Fortunately for me it could have been alot worse. Now I know that I am going to have to be a little more vigilant in cleaning the corners of my house to make sure I have no more visitors so this doesn't happen again. Hopefully this bite will clear up soon. I have a feeling it's going to take a little while.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
techgirl
I forgot to add that because of this my boyfriend had decided to squash all efforts of me getting a tri color hognose snake. He's afraid that if I have this reaction with spiders that it would be worse with a snake. I wasn't planning on him doing research on it since he's used to me bringing something home at some point in time. Apparently one of his co-workers said something about them being rear-fanged and being mildly venemous. So the answer is no. I did have tarantulas in college, a rose hair and a pink toe, only got bit once but I did have to go to the hospital because I developed asthma-like symptoms and my mom flipped out and made me get rid of them after that. I do miss having them and would like to have them again but I know that I may put myself at risk for a potentially bad reaction if I ever get bit again. *sigh* stinks to be allergic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!