IP/ISP Do they change while logged into the internet? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Bill & Amy
IP/ISP Do they change while logged into the internet?

Most of us have IP that remains constant for our computer. From what I have just been told recently some (like AOL) could have a different one each time they log in. But, can they change while logged in and using the internet? I know very little about specifics of such issues and would like to gain some more info. Also can a user that is trying to avoid detection change their ISP at will? A recent issue brought this up and I will post some of the posts after this gets some answers.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
The difference is between static and dynamic IP addresses. Static IPs are constant and do not change for a given account. Dynamic IPs are assigned upon logging in.
Unless there's something I am unaware of, an IP does not change within a given session, but should a person with dynamic IP disconnect and reconnect, it can change, although it will still be within the set range for that ISP.

Static IPs are becoming mroe common, but dynamic IPs are still often used. Even my DSL is dynamic. Static is available, and I could have one if I wanted, but I have no specific need for it so I haven't asked.

All that being said however, there are a few programs as well as paid services that will route internet traffic through a series of global servers called proxies and essentially mask a user's true IP.
Now someone with the appropriate resources and knowledge could actually retrace the routings and potentially be able to discover the originating IP, but for the average Joe like me or you we wouldn't have a clue.

This is my understanding of the subject and I haven't had a need to really learn the full details of the process, so others will definately have something to add and possibly corrections to what I have said.
I would be interested in becoming better versed on this topic myself so I will be anxious to read what others have to say as well.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
shrap
Not much more to add. Clay pretty much nailed it.

I have cable internet access and a dynamic IP. BUT, it often dont change in months. Same with many DSL users, your IP may not change for weeks or months at a time.

Dial up users IP numbers will change every time they disconnect from the internet. They will just be assigned a new IP number from a pool when they reconnect.

For Dial up users your IP addy absolutely will not change until you log out and then log back in again.

Cable/DSL users IP addys can change, but is unlikely to happen when you are surfing. And if it did it would kill your current connection and you would have to restart your browser, and maybe even your PC to be able to connect to the NET again.

99.9% of Cable/DSL companies would only change a users IP addy once a day at most. But most will not change for weeks at a time unless you cut off power to the modem itself. And even then you may get the same IP addy back.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Bill & Amy
Well this is the thread that the below quote comes from. This person specifically says his IP address changes several times a day. Also it changed while someone was and they were responding, I am just trying to figure out what was going on. Within 6 minutes of a post, he was reposting saying that his IP changed.

The next question is if they can change can 2 people in seperate states end up with the same IP?

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=87946

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxom1957
And the point being that an IP address changes, as mine just did and does several times a day. Citing an IP address does not prove that they are the same person. Did I suddenly become someone else when mine changed?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
Well this is the thread that the below quote comes from. This person specifically says his IP address changes several times a day. Also it changed while someone was and they were responding, I am just trying to figure out what was going on. Within 6 minutes of a post, he was reposting saying that his IP changed.

The next question is if they can change can 2 people in seperate states end up with the same IP?

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=87946
It’s obvious that person is only trolling, so I stopped posting. The biggest fallacy in his argument is that his IP address didn’t change to someone else who is posting in the same thread. With all the other evidence in the BOI thread, he knows he is wrong and just arguing for argument sake.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
It’s obvious that person is only trolling, so I stopped posting. The biggest fallacy in his argument is that his IP address didn’t change to someone else who is posting in the same thread. With all the other evidence in the BOI thread, he knows he is wrong and just arguing for argument sake.
I have been trying to figure out how he got the IP address to change while he was logged on the internet, I guess he could have logged out and logged back in. Seems funny that he knew what his IP address was right after you posted it. I wouldn't even know where to find that.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
, I guess he could have logged out and logged back in.
He did!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
shrap
Jaxom is most likely on dial up. Which means he gets a new IP addy every time he disconnects and re-connects to the NET. That dont happen with people on Cable and DSL. *The only time they get a new IP is when their ISP reassigns one to their modem or if their modem loses power.

Keep in mind, depending on how each individual ISP is running their network locally, even if your modem loses power you may still get the same IP back. Many assign IPs directly to each modem/router/NICs MAC address (In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier attached to most forms of networking equipment. Modems, Routers, Ethernet cards, etc).

As far as two people in different states getting the same IP... yes, in theory, it is possible. Particularly with dial up accounts. But in the case we had in those two threads with crimson reptiles the odds are astronomical. You have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

*Or you can also force an IP change, but most people dont know how to do this and I aint helping them learn by sharing the info here.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
I have heard of programs that supposedly will send "ghost" IP addresses, and supposedly does it every time you visit a site, click a link, etc. it sends a different address.
I don't know why you would need such a program though. LOL And don't know what it's called either. Just remember hearing it somewhere.

BTW, nice explanation of how things work guys. I didn't know half of that stuff.

Rick

Old 10-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Bill & Amy
Thanks everyone for their explanations!!! I understand a little more than I did when the thread started. I wish everyone had set addresses, it would make life simple.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!