Have you ever caught or saw a non-native or rare snake in your area? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Kingetula
Have you ever caught or saw a non-native or rare snake in your area?

Have you ever caught or saw a non-native snake in your area?

I also want to ask or allow answers to those who have caught rare snakes. For example if you caught an albino, 2-headed snake or something along those lines.

According to the book called, “The Snakes Part one by Ray E. Ashton Jr and Patricia Sawyer Ashton” there is a rare gray corn snake that I believe I caught last night in Jacksonville Florida. I will not rule out that it wasn’t a gray rat snake but according to the book gray rat snakes are in the panhandle and do not come this far east. I know yellow rats as juveniles sort of look like a gray rat but I know for a fact this was not the case this time. I even caught a yellow rat last night and it was completely different.

Many years ago I found a Copperhead at Ichetucknee springs state park (NW of Gainesville) well I was going down the river. Again this snake according to the book shouldn’t be that far south.

Only 2 times in my life that I have found something rare or out of place.

I guess people see pythons in the Everglades now but I have not been in a long time.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
mechnut450
yeah I have removed a boa ( few years back now) fron under a porch in a local trailer park I am guessing that he snake was released/escaped some time that summer for she was thin and didn't put up much of a fight .. ( then again it was only 60 degrees outside when Igot there so she may been freezing her butt off lol) anyhow now she fat well loved and eats great.. I found it odd because all reptiles in delaware you need a premit for to house them.. I have since found her a home and als rescued other snakes over the years ...

Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Tim Cole
I have a long list of non-natives and a short list of rarities.

Keep in mind that I have been doing rescues in the Austin area for over 20 years and was also an Animal Control Officer for 5 years.

Non-natives:

Lots of Green Iguanas
Water Monitor
Water Dragon
Tokay Geckoes
Burms
Lots of Ball Pythons (my record is 11 in 1 year).
African Rock
Retic
Boa Constrictors
Sulcatta Tortoise
Desert Tortoise

Rare:

Patternless Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

Old 06-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Kingetula
I saw today on CNN where a Boa was caught that just ate the pet kitty.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...llows.cat.wftv

Old 06-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Tim Cole
In my book, thats poetic justice! The cat should not be loose outside killing the wild life anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!