whats YOUR favorite hognose - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: whats YOUR favorite type of hognose?
western hognose 80 59.70%
eastern hognose 15 11.19%
southern hognose 5 3.73%
mexican hognose 5 3.73%
tri color hognose 21 15.67%
other-describe below 8 5.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
ladyserpent7
whats YOUR favorite hognose

i have a western hognose, and thats the first type that i was introduced to..and i love how pretty they are and how easy they are to take care of....whats your favorite type of hognose and why?

Old 04-09-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
varnyard
The Eastern are my favorite. I have been catching them since I was young. I kept some as pets when I was a kid. I was raised up in Clearwater Florida, and we had a bunch of them around where I lived. The locals said they were ground rattlers, but I knew different. I still see a few here in north Florida (Panama city) now and then on my herpin trips. I think they are awesome creatures. It don't seem like there are as many as there were years ago.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:48 AM   #3
ladyserpent7
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
The Eastern are my favorite. I have been catching them since I was young. I kept some as pets when I was a kid. I was raised up in Clearwater Florida, and we had a bunch of them around where I lived. The locals said they were ground rattlers, but I knew different. I still see a few here in north Florida (Panama city) now and then on my herpin trips. I think they are awesome creatures. It don't seem like there are as many as there were years ago.
which is a total shame....and something needs to be done bout that.....oh btw....did you usually see them as adults..like 2-3 ft...or young ones......cuz i RARELY see adults....and i dont know why

Old 04-09-2006, 02:55 AM   #4
varnyard
Now that you mention it, they were mostly young. That is why they get confused with the ground rattlers. That is probably why there are not more around now, due to people's fear of them. I have seen some adults in remote areas here, but most of the ones I see are juveniles.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
Art Klass
My eleven year old daughter, Dakota, was in my snake room the other day looking at my boas. She saw my only retic and asked about it. She thought all snakes look like boas. (I have failed as a herp father). So we hit the computer and I introduced her to the world of snakes. Of everything we looked at she fell in love with the hognose. (not a bad choice either, could have been a gaboon). I told her to do the research, learn all about it, pass my test and then she can buy one at an upcoming show that I attend. She chose the western on your poll. I am excited for her. I hope she gets the bug.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
varnyard
Thats great art!!! I like to see children taking an interest in our hobby. My son is only 9 months old, but is already watching them. Maybe he will be a keeper too, but I am not going to force him. I can dream though.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
ladyserpent7
im so happy for her art...yaaaaay...

Old 06-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
unidaddy
The only experience I have thus far is with my one Western......not a very wide-ranging opinion.......maybe someday I'll have a couple different types to have a broader perspective (I'll have a big job convincing someone here that we need another snake). Those tri-colors are very cool, though.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
ladyserpent7
yah..i agree rob...they are very unique...ive never seen one in real life though...just in pictures...theyre a lot more rare

Old 07-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
antisocial
i saw the tri colors at a show in chicago last year and kick myself everyday for not bringing them home with me. i keep westerns now they are hands down my favorite snake in my colection. i would also be interested in easterns i have seen nice pics but never any for sale(hint hint posible customer here)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!