Rosy Boa Taxonomy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Flatfish1
Rosy Boa Taxonomy

What is the latest accepted taxonomy of Rosy Boas? I only ask this because I have a new Rosy that I caught in Ramona, CA, and I like to label them on the enclosure with a photo and the common name and scientific name. I labeled her a Coastal Rosy Boa, Lichanura Trivirgata Roseofusca. But now I'm finding out that may be older classification - that all rosies should now be classified only as Lichanura Orcutti. So what do the experts think? Lichanura trivirgata, with two subspecies (Some even say four subspecies), or Lichanura Orcutti to cover them all?

Old 07-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
elena
To the best of my understanding, it is neither. Lichanura orcutti covers the coastal and desert rosy boas, but subspecies are no longer recognized. Mexican and Baja rosies are still trivirgata. Your animal would be Lichanura orcutti, no subspecies.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Socratic Monologue
Correct, Elena. Wayne, bear in mind that many hobbyists are very resistant to accepting this new nomenclature; I see their point, since much useful information is lost (though much more is gained, of course) with the change. (A very similar situation recently occurred in the Lampropeltis triangulum complex).

I believe this is the paper that establishes this taxonomy:

Wood, et al. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 46 (2008) 484–502

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...DMwNWMyZDZiNmE

Old 07-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
Flatfish1
Nice to have a scientific paper for a little light reading on a Friday afternoon! Thanks. So my girl is Orcutti. Now I can correct my label and feel like I know what I'm talking about! Apart from locality descriptions, do you think it might still be helpful to use words like "Coastal" and "Desert" as part of the common names for Lichanura Orcutti?

Old 07-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish1 View Post
Apart from locality descriptions, do you think it might still be helpful to use words like "Coastal" and "Desert" as part of the common names for Lichanura Orcutti?
I think so.

Nitpicking: Lichanura orcutti (no caps on the specific epithet). Gonna make a label, make it perfect.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
Flatfish1
Got it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!