WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT:Pythons yield hides for specialty items - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #41
Paul Kent
Annabelle,

Is there a law against a hunter selling an animal that he captures? Not being smart, just curious if hes actually breaking a law by buying them.

Also, sorry for speaking for you earlier. I thought thats what you were talking about

Old 03-20-2010, 01:57 AM   #42
Paul Kent
Im not saying decapitation is perfect and completely painless, Im saying given other options it the best option.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:01 AM   #43
Moonstone
AVA only recomends lethal injection and Co2 as the only humane methods to kill reptiles.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #44
Paul Kent
Also, and this may or may not be a stupid question, but what does the metabolism have to do with the length of time associated with death? Again not being smart, Im just curious. Ive never heard of that before.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:09 AM   #45
Goombas Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Freezing reptiles and decapitation are both considered inhumane by the AVA. Freezing makes them immobile, but they can still feel. As they freeze ice crystals form in the muscles and tissues causing an aggonizing, slow death. I see stupid people in forums all the time telling people to freeze their reptiles to kill them. The slow metabolism of the snakes makes decapitation a slow painful process. As someone who kills and processes animals for a living, I am sure he has little compassion for the animals he is killing in these horrible photos.

For the person who feels that removing the snakes from the everglades is going to save our pets, you couldnt be more wrong. HSUS and PETA are backing legislation (a violation of their 501c3 status) to take away our rights to have pets and is using the overstated "problem" of the everglades to justify their agenda of no animals for food, no animals for experimentation, no animals for entertainment (circus and zoos) and no pets. If not the everglades propaganda, they will latch on to something else. Nothing will stop them short of taking away their 501c3 status and exposing them for what they are. There are 250,000 animal rights fanatics holding 63,000,000 pet owning house holds hostage.

Someone else mentioned that these animals are not pets and need to be killed. What do you think happens to the PETS that are turned in in Floridas "pet amnesty" roundups? They probably wind up in the same place while their owners have to live with what they did for their pets own good.
You kinda went around in a circle with that one but I think I understand. This isn't going to be cut and dry and I didnt mean for it to sound like that. They will always have an agenda. The disposal of the invasive species however can be used as a starting point for "us, the irresponsible exotic pet owners" ( i say that sarcastically of course) to address that specific issue. Are they still gonna fight for us to not be able to eat meat, I'm sure. But most of us arent keeping cows and sheep as pets and there aren't reports of wild cows running around taking over Utah. And if they did by some miracle take that away from us, would we be able to keep cows and sheep as pets then since they aren't food animals? See where I'm going with this? We have to start somewhere. These reptiles are a major concern and something must be done. There are no alternatives. And you cannot equate them with the pets that are turned in on amnesty day. Those are actual pets that the owner is having to give up for whatever reason. They are checked, treated, and whatever can be rehomed is and whatever is deemed unsafe, is probably put down. Will some of them be released into the wild when the new owners get tired of them? That remains to be seen. I would imagine that you have to apply to adopt one of those animals and although manpower is limited, they may or may not have follow ups with people who adopt certain animals. I may be wrong, but in Florida, people are required to have permits for ROC's and have them chipped. I know from shelters up north, you have a certain amount of time to furnish proof of spaying/neutering cats and dogs or there are penalties or the animal is removed from your possession. I would hope the same types of regulations are enforced down south, but I do not know. Whatever the cause of these animals running loose is, we must be the ones to remedy the situation because we are the ones who stand to lose it all.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #46
Moonstone
Because of their slow metabolism, their brain can function on very little oxygen, and therefore lives for up to an hour after decapitation. Human brain stops functioning after about 8 minutes. So they suffer for a very long time after you cut their heads off. It is not the quick death it is made out to be. Like freezing, just because they cant move doesnt mean they arent suffering.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #47
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpman081 View Post
Annabelle,

Is there a law against a hunter selling an animal that he captures? Not being smart, just curious if hes actually breaking a law by buying them.
I do believe he broke the law, if somebody doesn't beat me to it I'll try find it tomorrow.

Quote:
Also, sorry for speaking for you earlier. I thought thats what you were talking about
No offense taken

Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #48
xtreme dragons
HERPMAN

I THINK U REALIZE THAT ITS NOT AS MUCH AS PEOPLE LETTING THEM GO IT THE BREEDING FACILITIES THAT GET HIT BY THE STORMS THAT CAUSED THE BIG PROBLEM

Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #49
Paul Kent
In this particular case they made sure to crush the head to be sure the head was dead. But who says that they actually feel the pain an hour after they are decapitated? Yes there may be brain functions but I would dought that they're concious more than a few seconds after. For example if I cut of the blood supply to my brain few more than a few seconds I would pass out. I still have plenty of brain function but I wouldnt be able to recognize pain of any kind. Similarly, I would assume, that if the blood supply was cut off for a snake it would have the same effect. Hence no pain.

Sorry to everyone else for the boring conversation.... Im just really curious and like to learn.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:33 AM   #50
Paul Kent
XD - I do think that that plays a part but Im not sure that its the main problem. I could be wrong on that also.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!