WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT:Pythons yield hides for specialty items - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #51
Moonstone
I wasnt going around in a circle, I was responding to a number of different posts.

I get what your saying Tony, but here is the deal. The issue of the berms in the everglades is a problem isolated in Florida, but the legislation proposed is FEDERAL. If they pass federal legislation banning or limiting the ownership of pythons, and oh yeah, HSUS had boas and anacondas thrown in there as well while they were at it, the overstated problem in the everglades will still be there. Preventing someone from owning a python in Alaska will not solve south Florida's problem. Remember HR 669? Legislation that would make the breeding, buying, selling, transfering of ownership, transporting across state lines of any pet other than a dog, cat, or goldfish illegal. You would not be able to get new pets, but you can have the animals you have already (just dont plan on relocating). HR 669 would have made exotic pets extinct in a single generation. If these snakes are added to the Lacey act, it becomes a crime to own them.......anyone owning an animal on the Lacey act is a criminal. They will have to be surrendered and killed. The Lacey act is not control or limiting of these animals, it is the elimination of these animals. You hear about the 6 billion dollars a year in damages caused by invasive species. The animal rights groups throw that number around all the time as does Fish and Wildlife and ignorant politicians. Here is the rest of that statement you never hear.....most of those species were government funded introduction programs. The same people who brought you Kudzu and the Cane Toad now want to limit or take away your right to own a pet snake. The problem here is much bigger than the berms in Fla. Our government is being taken over by special interest groups.

Florida's problem needs to be handled in Florida.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #52
Moonstone
You pass out from lack of oxygen because of a fast metabolism. Snakes dont have that fast metabolism and dont black out. Who says this the American Association of Veteranarians.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #53
Paul Kent

Very well said and I couldnt agree more!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #54
Moonstone
WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!!:O)

Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 AM   #55
Paul Kent
So the AVA says it takes an hour for a snake to pass out from lack of oxygen? I only ask because they say that it takes 8 min for a human but that obviously not true. It only takes about 5 seconds. I think theres a misunderstanding here between brain function and conciousness. People lose brain function after 8 min, but they lose conciousness, and the ability to feel pain because they're unconcious, after seconds. Are we talking about the same thing?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #56
dturner100
I agree with a lot of what you're saying moonstone, but I hope your reference to PETA was just for example/

With the accusations against PETA I'd hardly call them an animal rights organization.

You also beat me to the metabolism explanation. For a bit of a visual: Imagine the amount of oxygen that passes through the plastic tubs most breeders keep their ball pythons in. Humans or mammals in general would suffocate in that situation but due to the ball pythons low metabolism the amount of oxygen is fine. If you watch your snakes breathing you'll notice that the only times they breath heavily are when they're excited before striking prey ( in my studies anyway ).

Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 AM   #57
dturner100
Paul. I'm confused. Are you saying that humans can't hold their breath for 5 seconds?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #58
Moonstone
Not being a vet, the bottom line as I understand it is snakes do not die quickly from decapitation. They head and neck for lack of a better word live on for a very long time. It was deemed UNACCEPTABLE to freeze or decapitate reptiles by AVA. Mammals are very different than reptiles as far as their functioning. How many people have been bitten by the head of a decapitated snake in the wild, some up to an hour or more after the head was cut off. They recomend burying the head immediately after you cut it off to prevent this.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #59
Moonstone
PETA, HSUS, ALF are all animal "rights" groups. The problem is animals do not have rights. Since PETA kills more animals than any other group, by percentage in the US, breaking their own record in 2009, I consider them liars and scumbags. www.petakillspets.com

What would you call them?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #60
Paul Kent
No, Im saying if you cut off the supply from the neck for example you'll be unconcious in a matter of seconds. This may sound stupid but its like the kids that play the "passing out" game. They simply cut off the blood supply to the brain and they're out in a few seconds. You can hold your breath because your using the oxygen in your lungs and it takes a few minutes for you to use it all. It only takes seconds to use it in the little bit thats left the blood between your neck and your brain

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!