Can you guys check out my leopard gecko genetics page?... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-04-2005, 03:28 AM   #1
StinaUIUC
Can you guys check out my leopard gecko genetics page?...

Well I think I at least have the genetics page on my website done... www.illinileosandpetportraits.com/genetics.html. Can everyone check it out and tell me what you think? ...if it makes sense, if everything seems correct, if I missed anything, etc. I'd really appreciate it!!!! Also, if you could check out the rest of the site and let me know what you think I'd appreciate it too (I still have to make a new caresheet for the new site!).

Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
aliceinwl
I think that putting the descriptive name first rather than the genetics would help. I think that when people look at the page they will primarily be interested in finding the info on a specific morph.

The genetics look pretty good. I think that the majority of stripes are recessive, so I'd put recessive before line bred from jungle. Also, where did you get the info on reverse stripe? I'm not sure of their genetics, but I've never heard of them being selectively bred from jungles and stripes. I think that way back in a reptiles magazine article on leos I remember reading that jungle was recessive to normal, stripe was recessive to jungle and reverse stripe was recessive to stripe. I haven't personally worked with these traits before, however, so I can't verify or refute this.

Otherwise, it's looking good
Alice

Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
MatthewK
I see two of my photos there without credit given

Old 03-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
robin d.
the reverse stripe genetics is not quite known i will be working with some unrelated reversed stripes, they ARE genetic but how remains the question. I have a few ideas but i will not know till i test them to be sure.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
StinaUIUC
Matthew, your credit is there! You just have to hold your pointer over the photos...I noted that at the top of the page

Alice...I will consider putting the morphs first...I did genetics first for a reason...but I forgot what it was...lol

Robin...what do you think I should put for reverse stripes for now?...should I change it to recessive? I really wasn't sure!!

Anyway...thanks for the comments!...keep them coming!

Old 03-06-2005, 01:48 AM   #6
Gregg M
Stina, I think the page is good..... Just needs a bit of rewording and it will be even better...... I do not think anyone knows for certain what the genetics are for jungles or reverse stripes...... If you ask me, I think its a co-dom.....

Old 03-06-2005, 02:41 AM   #7
robin d.
i would put "un known at this time" it may also be a good idea to explain hypo aka hypomelanism by definition as well as albinism t+ v T-... this will give it a better general basci understanding and also melanism/hypermelanism... reversed stripe to reversed stripe MAY be a co dom trait but how to go about and make reverse stripes from scratch so to speak is a whole nother issue

Old 03-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
MatthewK
oh ok, i checked in IE and it works. Firefox doesnt accept that script.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
StinaUIUC
Thanks Robin! Anyone else have an opinion on that?

Matthew...would you like me to put the credit information actually on the page?...I didn't know it wouldn't work on some browsers.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
aliceinwl
As far as getting a reverse stripe from scratch:

When I first got into geckos almost 10 years ago I did a lot of inbreeding. Father to daughter to granddaughter (all I can do is plead ignorance). Anyway my male, who is a normal, started fathering jungles with one of his grand-daughters (she was normal too). Most had a pattern of big spots down the back and wildly abberent bands. I hatched out one reverse stripe from them. Unfortuneatly I lost the mom several years ago, but I still have dad and the reverse stripe.

The mother was a small female who would lay 3-4 clutches a year. I'd usually get a single jungle so it would seem that I was dealing with a recessive trait. In my case, the reverse stripe may just be a variation on jungle.

The most interesting thing about them, I think, is that my orginal parent stock came from petstores and predated Tremper's unvieling of his jungles.

-Alice
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!