Grey tree frogs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #1
DLS Reptile
Grey tree frogs

I am looking to acquire a few of these frogs from the wild for a terrarium. Does anyone have experience on live traps for these frogs in Pennsylvania?

I have kept reptiles of various species for more than 30 years but I have never herped for this specific species.

Thanks for any info on this.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Herpin Man
I’ve caught lots of these guys, and may be able to help. First, find out whether or not collecting natives is even legal there.
I’ve never used live traps. My feeling is that they are probably more trouble than they are worth. What I would do, first, is identify one or more breeding sites. This should be easy- just drive around wetlands at night, listening for their call. I don’t know the dates for your area, but breeding season should start soon.
Please don’t collect breeding adults. They are needed to perpetuate the species. Instead, wait until after breeding season, and return to those breeding ponds with a swine or dip net, and find some tadpoles. They are easily identified by their reddish tails.
They can also be found during late summer, as newly morphed froglets. Look for them in low bushes, tall grasses, etc. around the margins of the breeding pond.
Tadpoles and froglets can be collected with no impact to the local population, and I believe that they will adapt to captivity better than adults.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
DLS Reptile
Grey tree frogs

This is great information. I agree with your thoughts on the breeding adults. I used to be a breeder of leopard geckos years ago and still own a few beauties. I have been thinking about a native species of frog for some time. I actually have a 10 acre swamp right by my house that is loaded with frogs. I am in Northern Pa. Your information is Greatly appreciated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!