Temperature problem for Cali. king! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
antwan212k
Temperature problem for Cali. king!

I have had my California King for about a month and a half, she's about 3 months old and shes Albino. I just yesterday remodeled the whole tank for her, giving her a tree with a branch, a new log, and some reptile carpet so I can start feeding her in one corner of the tank. I hate a 10-20 gallson size heating pad under the tank and I have been keeping a black light on her from 8pm-6am, and just regular light from the windows during the day. I know the temp. strip I have isnt very accurate but it reads high 70's/80 during the day, even when I put the light on it, its reading about low 80's. What is another way I can up the temp?
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
Wilomn
Keep in mind that your temp strip is not directly, at least it doesn't seem to be, under your heat light and it will be several degrees warmer right under the light than it is a few inches away.

If you're in the mid 80s you're fine. You probably don't even need the light at night right now. Be careful using light through a window, the glass magnifies the heat and you could cook your snake.

Cal. Kings are really easy to keep. Your undertank heater is probably all it will ever need although those same undertank heaters are notorious for overheating. You might want to get a different heating options, heat strip or just a plain old red bulb you can leave on all the time. Some temp variation from day to night will not hurt the snake at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!