I NEED... Savanna Monitor taming tips and techs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
2RILL
I NEED... Savanna Monitor taming tips and techs

I hope I'm posting in the right place, if not, mods please feel free to move this post. I have recently acquired a baby savanna monitor. He seems to be coming along great just in our first week together. Is there any experienced moniotr keepers that can give me some more advice on taming him?... he still puffs up and hisses, mouth gaping but calms down after I pick him up and talk to him... enough to where I can hold him with my hand open and pet him with the other on his nape/neck. I feed him in a seperate rubbermaid tub, but have just been throwing the worms and crix in with him. I've decided today to start feeding him with tongs, which was suggested by a friend. I've also built a 5x2x2 for him already. The more info I have to help with taming him... the better for us. Knowledge is power imo. Thank you for your time!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
reptilebaby
You need to post this in the lizard forum. You'll probably get lots of help there, though.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Ed Clark
This is what you are looking for.

Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Old 01-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RILL View Post
I hope I'm posting in the right place, if not, mods please feel free to move this post. I have recently acquired a baby savanna monitor. He seems to be coming along great just in our first week together. Is there any experienced moniotr keepers that can give me some more advice on taming him?... he still puffs up and hisses, mouth gaping but calms down after I pick him up and talk to him... enough to where I can hold him with my hand open and pet him with the other on his nape/neck. I feed him in a seperate rubbermaid tub, but have just been throwing the worms and crix in with him. I've decided today to start feeding him with tongs, which was suggested by a friend. I've also built a 5x2x2 for him already. The more info I have to help with taming him... the better for us. Knowledge is power imo. Thank you for your time!
Stop feeding him in a seperate tub.

Big enclosure, deep dirt substrate, hot spot of at least 130 degrees, LEAVE IT ALONE.

Don't force it to come to you. It takes a lot of time to build trust. Once it trusts you, it will start to come to you.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Lenard
Monitor Lizards

Taming a monitor lizard takes a lot of time and patience. They may try to bite, tail whip, or defecate on you for a while. Handle him several times everyday, talk to him, don't move quickly, no loud noises or screams.
He will become your best friend gradually if you take good care of him, feed him regularly, and keep his cage clean.
I own a 6 ft black throat that is very tame and actually affectionate at times.

Lenard

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!