Outdoor Cooking - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Lucille
Outdoor Cooking

I've had an old 600-700 lb iron grill/smoker for a long time, and have used it to grill for years.

I am now rigging up a surface to repair the rusted out bottom of the offset smoker box and am assembling stuff (hickory wood pellets and chunks) and am going to try my hand at smoking foods with the offset, probably starting with chicken.

I don't know if smoking vegetables is even done, but I thought I'd try smoking some peppers too, since amazingly, last years pepper plants are still cranking out more peppers and I already have tons of frozen peppers to use in cooking stews and veggie dishes.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Lucille
I've 'BBQed' for decades, but now that I'm getting into smoking, I'm finding that there is an amazing amount of experience and knowledge out there that I have really never dipped into. I'm buying a piece of expanded steel grid and making a charcoal basket for the firebox, via step by step pictures and instructions.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
dieselfan
Please post pics of your smoker once it is complete! I bought a tower smoker 5-6 years ago for doing a turkey on thanksgiving and ended up getting hooked! The rich, sweet and even subtle flavors of meat that is bought out in a proper smoking is amazing! I smoked wings and some pork rib tips today! Its all about the rub and the BBQ sauce! Texas style is def my fav!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
Winnie the Pooh
I have Char-Broil smoker. Often make a little BBQ party in the backyard and grill beef tenderloins. My tips are herbes de provence like rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and oregano. I mix them with garlic and olive oil and apply all over the steaks. Fantastic! I knew this in French Riviera where my parents had a holiday home with gorgeous landscape and food by the way (https://tranio.com/france/cote_d_azur/). The herbs were sold on local markets and my mom always added them when cooking meat and sometimes desserts. This is also my main salt.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
Please post pics of your smoker once it is complete!
I was going to ask the same thing - we cook outdoors a lot but have never smoked anything, would love to see how it is done.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Mech
Hi Lucille,
I do a lot of smoking and outdoor cooking.
A proper temp gauge is a must.
You might concider http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Long-R...at+thermometer.
I have lots of trees so when I trim the fruit and oak trees I make a section of small cut wood pieces that I use for my smoker next to the wood pile I burn for heat.
I split small sections of seasoned wood in half so they are about the size of half a small bannana then soak a day prior to the cook.
I also keep a spray bottle with apple juice to spritz as needed.
Spritzing the meat really works.
I also add some of my honey and just love it.
Brine wise I think the best thing to do is look at a bunch of brine recipes and mix and match one that you might like.
One of my biggest mistakes is not documenting the recipes.
I have not been able to recreate some of my favorites.
Good luck to you.
Andy

Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Mech
Oh smoke with the fruit,oak and heat with mesquite.
Don't over smoke.
I don't know if there is almond where you are at but that works well also.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!