Inquiry Dan at DTS Herps, Inc (Boca Raton, Florida) - Good guy? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #51
KingBowser
Quote:
I for one would not show my support for someone who carries himself as Dan does regardless of how many good deals I may have had with him.
I agree 100%. As I have had a transaction go well, I consider myself lucky that I didn't get screwed $1000. I work hard for my money and don't enjoy seeing innocent people try to purchase something faulty and/or misrepresentend and the seller does nothing for them. Yes, Dan probably has several healthy animals. Obviously he satisfies enough people to stay afloat for the time being...but he acts like an angry child on the BOI and that marks him out of my book.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #52
Moogsable
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and really just wanted to join to express my gratitude that you all posted your experiences with Dan. I was just about to purchase a red tegu from him when I searched google to see if he had a website or something to learn a little more about this guy. That's when I stumbled across this thread and I'm really glad that I did. Who knows what could have possibly gone wrong, I'll always remember to research a dealer before I purchase from them again. Now, I was curious if anyone here could recommend a reputable breeder of red tegus?

Thanks again,
Megan

Old 04-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #53
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogsable View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and really just wanted to join to express my gratitude that you all posted your experiences with Dan. I was just about to purchase a red tegu from him when I searched google to see if he had a website or something to learn a little more about this guy. That's when I stumbled across this thread and I'm really glad that I did. Who knows what could have possibly gone wrong, I'll always remember to research a dealer before I purchase from them again. Now, I was curious if anyone here could recommend a reputable breeder of red tegus?

Thanks again,
Megan
Here you are...http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #54
bterrill
Interesting thread guys. I have just started researching DTS HERPS because of one of their ks ads for a 1.1 pair of mexican black kingsnakes. Seems it might not be the wisest choice. It's not a good sign that this was on the first page already.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll dig a little deeper but sounds like it will be about the same.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #55
collideoverme
I had gotten a western coachwhip from him back last summer and the animal had a very bad case of scale rot and was very sick. I contacted him and asked for some kind of satisfaction due to the fact the snake died and he did nothing! I will not ever buy from him again. The guy was a total jerk.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #56
WolfPaw
I was talking to him last year via e-mail about a monitor. I had asked alot of questions about care, the breeders and how they were physically. He was great at answering all the questions. I then asked about live arival garentees and what his health garentee window was (12 hours or 2 weeks or if there was even one). He said he didnt offer a health garentee and as long as the carrier didn't mess up my ackie should arrive fine. Now i've been screwed over before, hence all the questions before i ever order now. I normally don't check the BOI but thought it would be worth the three minutes it took to read over the first tread. When i mentioned that i had done a search on fauna and just wanted to double check some shipping and health question i had (i too am someone willing to give someone new the benifit of the doubt) he stop replying to my e-mails. I no longer have them sorry my inbox get full all the time and sence it wasn't a transaction i just deleated them. If he had just assured me that yes the monitor will arrive a live and healthy or he would make it right, i'd have no problem with that, but he just stopped talking all togeather. No rude e-mail or this anger that i hear of.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #57
Southern Wolf
Then you got lucky Chelsea... most folks that mention the BOI get slammed at least once then he blocks their emails. At least that seems to be the pattern that has been posted here. Who knows how many contact him about concerns they read here and then never post their experiences.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #58
R. Eventide
I have to say I seriously don't understand some people's viewpoints here, either....

For those who have had good dealings with Dan, was there anything wrong with your reptile or the delivery or any other aspect of the transaction? The point people are trying to make, here, is that when everything goes well, then yes, he seems to be a decent guy. But if something goes wrong, it doesn't matter what the problem is 'cause it's never his fault.

Yes, I agree, that just because someone says a seller is a Bad Guy doesn't necessarily make it the case. There have been many threads here started by whiny buyers who refused to take responsibility for their own mistakes. It happens, and for the most part, people realize who's truly at fault. One Bad Guy thread does not a Bad Guy make, necessarily. However, when the Bad Guy threads start piling up, it becomes less and less likely that we're dealing with a ton of bad buyers (from a statistical perspective, if nothing else).

Many of us here just don't understand why someone would continue to buy from a guy like Dan just because all of his/her transactions have gone well. The only reason you had a good experience is because nothing went wrong! Are you seriously going to continue risking your hard-earned money with someone who is well-known for not taking responsibility when he messes up? If so, that is your prerogative, and I won't stop you. Just don't expect any warm-fuzzies when you do get screwed over because...quite frankly...it will be your fault...and no one else's. I've seen it happen way too many times here on the BOI: people give a Bad Guy the benefit of the doubt (despite mounds of evidence to the contrary), and then they come back bawling because they got screwed.

Experience is not necessary for learning. If my brother stuck his hand on a hot stove and burned it, do I need to do the same thing to learn that the stove is hot and I shouldn't touch it? Do I need to get hit by a car to learn to look both ways before I cross? Does Britain need to invade Russia in the winter to figure out that's a bad idea? Do I need to have an affair with a White House intern to learn the consequences of such an action? The wisest are those who learn from others' mistakes.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #59
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
I have to say I seriously don't understand some people's viewpoints here, either....

For those who have had good dealings with Dan, was there anything wrong with your reptile or the delivery or any other aspect of the transaction? The point people are trying to make, here, is that when everything goes well, then yes, he seems to be a decent guy. But if something goes wrong, it doesn't matter what the problem is 'cause it's never his fault.

Yes, I agree, that just because someone says a seller is a Bad Guy doesn't necessarily make it the case. There have been many threads here started by whiny buyers who refused to take responsibility for their own mistakes. It happens, and for the most part, people realize who's truly at fault. One Bad Guy thread does not a Bad Guy make, necessarily. However, when the Bad Guy threads start piling up, it becomes less and less likely that we're dealing with a ton of bad buyers (from a statistical perspective, if nothing else).

Many of us here just don't understand why someone would continue to buy from a guy like Dan just because all of his/her transactions have gone well. The only reason you had a good experience is because nothing went wrong! Are you seriously going to continue risking your hard-earned money with someone who is well-known for not taking responsibility when he messes up? If so, that is your prerogative, and I won't stop you. Just don't expect any warm-fuzzies when you do get screwed over because...quite frankly...it will be your fault...and no one else's. I've seen it happen way too many times here on the BOI: people give a Bad Guy the benefit of the doubt (despite mounds of evidence to the contrary), and then they come back bawling because they got screwed.

Experience is not necessary for learning. If my brother stuck his hand on a hot stove and burned it, do I need to do the same thing to learn that the stove is hot and I shouldn't touch it? Do I need to get hit by a car to learn to look both ways before I cross? Does Britain need to invade Russia in the winter to figure out that's a bad idea? Do I need to have an affair with a White House intern to learn the consequences of such an action? The wisest are those who learn from others' mistakes.
and a very good post

Quote:
Do I need to have an affair with a White House intern to learn the consequences of such an action?
ummmm no comment

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #60
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssnakemom31 View Post
That is exactly my point - when you have a good experience with someone, you post it here. When you don't, you also post it here. One does not outweigh the other.
Kathy, you are so right. The BOI is here for us to post our bad and our good experiences. It is up to the individual reader to make the final decision as to whether they wish to buy or sell to someone that is the subject of a thread, or threads, here. You have just as much of a reason to post your good experience as another has to post their bad one, and I for one hope you will continue to post on BOI threads and communicating to others your experiences, whether good or bad, and whether it goes against the majority of opinions posted here or not. I respect that, and I appreciate it too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!