Pheonix worms vs Butterworms for breeding females - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
FosterHerpetological
Pheonix worms vs Butterworms for breeding females

Ive been reading, since my breeding pictus female is showing signs of MBD. I read on another forum, that when the females are breeding they can show signs, but its just because they are low on calcium, not because they actually have MBD.
I provide a calcium dish, and a feeder dish. But it may not be enough. On the other forum, the breeder said he feeds his breeding females pheonix worms and butterworms during breeding so that they get all of the calcium that they need.
So which would be better to get the calcium I need?
Thanks alot,
Stephen

Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
SamanthaJane13
A warning page on Pangea tells about a horrible reaction to butter worm "juices" on a gecko's face...

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ad.php?t=36085

The pictures are no longer there, but the description is.

It seems that butter worms have some kind of caustic juice that burns when the juice squirts out onto the geckos' faces.

I'd avoid them at a ll cost.

I use wax worms.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
lpcad
phoenix worms can be a little more costly than some other feeder insects, but they are a good source of calcium. you can find a chart of the nutritional content of phoenix worms on their website.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Sublime Reptiles
phoenix worms are known to have the highest percent of calcium of all the feeders, but another good choice would be small silkworms, these are lower in fat than phoenix worms, they have the most protein of all the feeders, and are still higher in calcium than crickets and waxworms. So if youre looking for something to give more calcium, without the worries of too much fat added to their diet, or lack of a good amount of protein, go with silkworms, but I will forwarn you, they grow quickly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!