New panther set up! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
Texas Ranger
sorry Castle Rock, CO. the glass hold to much heat in you really need a screened cage. go to DIY cages.com

Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
jambore123
But then it's not humid for him!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Texas Ranger
That's what misting is for. Or get a mistking. They don't need constent humidity. The cage must dry out between mistings and before bed time. Panther like spikes of humitiy. Not a soaked cage. This is easy to acheve.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
rjarosek
Hey Joncharles, Head over to chameleonforums.com. There is lots of information there that will help you out.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
jambore123
Thanks so much!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
rjarosek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambore123 View Post
Thanks so much!

You can also email me with any questions you may have. I have and still do on a small scale keep and breed panters and a few other chameleons.

ryan@jparkreptiles.com.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #17
LauraB
Yep - lose the carpet, lose the waterfall, lose the glass. Chams are arboreal. They live in trees; they do need heavy misting & relatively high humidity, but they also need airflow to dry things out in between - just like in the wild. That tank looks like it is totally saturated - a perfect conduit for mold, fungus and bacteria. Chams like things really simple and really clean.

Kudos for seeking info to make sure your Panther has the best possible environment

Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #18
EvilLost
check out chameleonforums.com for some more indepth info, but others leading u in the right direction

i would lose the waterfall (small possibility of drowning, speaking from personal experience ...as well as increased bacteria buildup, especially in a glass tank).

screen cages all around for all chameleons except pygmy. gotta handmist often.

do you have a UVB bulb as well as a heat bulb?

lastly, just a side note, i would mount his feeding cup higher up or move the vines so that he can reach it but water does not drip into it. a small water level can drown crickets pretty quickly. it might not be a problem for you, but i can see it potentially being one

good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #19
EvilLost
also, keep an eye on him incase he eats the soil. some do and it can cause impaction...i find most keepers cover the soil with either river rocks or i personally use clumps of pillow moss. its not a common problem with panthers (moreso with veiled) but it can cause serious issues if it happens

and forgot to mention....do you have supplementation? schedule?

feel free to ask if u need help on that

Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
jambore123
Yes i have both of those and I don't have a substrate at the bottom its the carpet stuff.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!