ofy explained - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Randy F
ofy explained

I had a female which in all essence was a normal. As she got bigger I noticed some color changes in her and thought maybe she could have been a low grade fire. I figured to find out I would only breed her to a fire and see if I produced any super fires. When the clutch hatched I first saw that I hatched three deserts. At the time that would have been fine because they were still up on the desirable list, and no-one knew about the females. The strange thing was I had not bred anything but the fire. Then we arelized that there were a couple normal, couple that looked like mom, and the three that turned out to be fire ofy's. Through the next couple of season I have produced other ofy combos, along with a super that did not live. I had a bad heat spike in my new building and before I could get an a/c in there my early clutches all slugged out, or had some issues. One super died a couple weeks from hatching, one hatched but was kinked and died, and a third ofy had a kink but lived. Now I must say, this was the only kinking issues I have had with any clutches involving the ofy gene, and had kinking due to the heat spike with all clutches in that time frame. I will post pictures of the skin from the super so everyone can see. I am going to be producing more supers this year.

Now a quick run down on the gene. It is a highlighter gene with all the genes introduced so far. Beside highlighting, it has belts on it as seen in the pictures below. You will notice a belt going down the side that is heavily speckled. Right above that is a clean band. Below that speckled belt it gets very clean. They are hatched very creamy in color and super clean. As they get older they get some of their color and belts. The base gene also has a moustache. The pattern is very jungle looking.

Lastly, the name is because I called them my special fires at first. Obviously my buddy Tom already named his a special (crystal maker). When I first tried for a super I thought about what the first thing that would come to mind if I saw one......."Oh F*** Yeah"
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Randy F
here are a couple of one from this year. The last girl is about 800 grams to give you an idea of for age comparison and color change. This girl has a bit more of the jungle pattern. You can see how the blacks are really true black and not a dark brown. This helps them with "browning" with age. Also you can notice some more of the color pallet on them along with the white accents on the pattern.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Randy F
here is a fire ofy baby along with one of the original fire ofy males. You can see how light he has gotten. I will put him up against any fire and you have never seen any like him.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Randy F
and last but no least......the skin from the super. Unfortunately I was not able to figure out after a couple of sheds if this was a super ofy or a fire super ofy. The pairing was ofy to fire ofy so no chances of anything else there.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
HurQleys Herps
Definitely something interesting going on in there. I like the digital camo look on the skin. Keep em coming.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Robert Walker
Thanks Randy for the info. Now that I read it again, I remember it from a previous thread you must have done a while ago, because as soon as you explained OFY again, I went... "oh yah, that is what it was".

Old 12-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Randy F
Yeah it's a long process and a lot of snakes to hold back!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #8
jack2682
Got a chance to see these guys/gals in person. They are sweet.

Very cool gene Randy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!